Vintage Lighting Ship retiring from the website.

Ship, you will be missed, but you will also be back.

Great news about the new addition to the family. It will seem like no time at all before she is reading all your posts here and comments "Jeez, Dad, you wrote all this ?." followed by "Oh, by-the-way, I have a date for Saturday night !".

So a thanks for the many hours you put in to help make CB what it has become.

Steve Bailey
Lighting Director/Head Electrician
Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts at Brooklyn College

Yes, I also expect the "Retirement" will be brief! Very busy, but there will be down-time, and I bet the keyboard will be calling his name!

Thanks for all the time you've put in helping newbies like me, it really meant alot to get some advice from a real pro.

I can't even begin to express my gratitude for the education you've given us all over the years.
One of these days I'll hopefully make it out there and meet you in person.
Enjoy your family.

Philip LaDue
Assistant Technical Director
Paramount Theater of Asbury Park

Thanks for everything! It's always great to know there are people who are willing to spend so much time teaching high school students in a place like this.

Chase Hausman
Mt. Spokane High School

Yes, I also expect the "Retirement" will be brief! Very busy, but there will be down-time, and I bet the keyboard will be calling his name!

Maybe "hiatus" would be a more approriate term than retirement.

Sorry to disappoint, but Ship's retirement is final for many years. He's got a little girl on the way, coming in the next week or two, and he's decided to concentrate on being a dad, which is the best possible reason to retire. :)

For those of you who don't know, ship has been with ControlBooth.com since the beginning. He has only been on CB for a couple weeks less than I have!

I've more than once told the story of my introduction to ship by way of his sixteen page (printed) page email detailing exactly how badly I'd written my first tutorial on wiring up Stage Pin plugs. :oops: From that point on, Ship has been a force on CB, the first and still the most knowledgeable in the arcane art of lamps, foremost amongst a treasure trove of acquired wisdom. Ship encouraged me, scolded me, and pushed me to keep making CB better.

So, to Ship; Regardless of where life takes you, whatever may happen, know this: CB is your home, you are family. Period.

Merde on all your future endeavours Ship.

You're the reason I joined CB in the first place....I was looking for info on gauges of cable for the stage and came acroos a very long post written by you detailing everything I needed to know.

Best of to you and your family!

Ship, you will be missed here, but congratulations and may your next step in your journey be wonderful.

But dang, CB without ship would be, ummmm, well like a ship without a rudder, or is that a rudder without a ship?

@DVSDave, is your stage pin article still online, how about ship's response, would love to take a look at them :lol:
@Grog12.......pardon your French ;)

Should the powers that be perhaps reserve a CB handle for the forthcoming little ship?

shipette?
msship?
Lollipop (as in the good ship)?

Ship, you will be missed here, but congratulations and may your next step in your journey be wonderful.

But dang, CB without ship would be, ummmm, well like a ship without a rudder, or is that a rudder without a ship?

@DVSDave, is your stage pin article still online, how about ship's response, would love to take a look at them :lol:

Should the powers that be perhaps reserve a CB handle for the forthcoming little ship?

shipette?
msship?
Lollipop (as in the good ship)?

Any username variations on ship are already reserved.

No, I unfortunately lost that original article and ships reply when a laptop crashed years and years ago. :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

<-------Look at the occupation....understand why its my good luck to everyone. >:>

All this aside, I want to point out that the vast majority of my CB posts occurred when my boys were under 3 years old. The baby wakes up in the middle of the night, needs a bottle and a diaper change... then you are left awake, what to do? You can either watch "Wings" on Nick at Night or you can hop on CB and see what's going on. We might see more of Ship in the future than he suspects.

PHP:
All this aside, I want to point out that the vast majority of my CB posts occurred when my boys were under 3 years old. The baby wakes up in the middle of the night, needs a bottle and a diaper change... then you are left awake, what to do? You can either watch "Wings" on Nick at Night or you can hop on CB and see what's going on. We might see more of Ship in the future than he suspects.

Too true. Too true.

Thank you, Ship. You have no idea the amazing journey that has already begun. But you are gonna find out. Oh my lord, are you gonna find out! (Here's a hint: IT'S AWESOME!!!!)

"See you in heaven, or the next time...whichever's first."-Ry Cooder

ship via PM writes:
ship said:
Five Pound Twelve Ounces

Eighteen inches long but while two weeks early, born on wife's own birth day, and doing really really welll. Small but no real complications. ... We all will be fine and if wanted to post to those interested, I have a baby girl [name] who will in a few many years get her doctorate in theater tech. Later buddy in me staying off the web.

ship said:
...Please be the one to present my child to the forum for me as that from the forum that was also there for my wedding - this for them interested that have the concept and interest about 06/07/12 birth date - the same as my wife, and the other stuff. Never realized how important such birth announcements were before and or what it means but I now know. And thanks our kind of godfather - this the next time out in our way. Yep, she already hates the light - true techie in already putting her tiny arms up so as to block sunlight.

Last edited:
Sorry to have one a tad late to this but, thank you Ship for your help, guidance, and passionate teachings over these many years. You have quite obviously made a difference for many of us here now, back then, and those that will be soon. Again, thank you.

Also, congratulations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back