Vintage Lighting Ship retiring from the website.

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Posted on the lighting part of the website as the one most posted to. Also as on the Vintage part because that is what I have become the mover to over time.

One or at best two weeks out from my daughter being born in which I will have to learn from swaddling I think it’s called.. thru all the various Disney princesses, plus it being touring season in constantly working late, supposed to do an install down town three days before, and my own antique back log of gear to work on. Simply put, I have chosen to no longer check into/retire this website that is very much taken care of and vibrant in needing me any longer. Sorry but time for Wife and Daughter.

Should I be needed for something - there is lots of members that have my private email and can get a reply or post if more extensive out of me. (Private email address to me as per my joining does exist and was active... probably hundreds of them to me on it, forgot how to access into it and work E-Mail others know is approved seperate given past issues. Derek especially as with a few others know how to contact me directly in this other than posted email address that I think exists, just that I forgot how to access.) Many on the website know my direct email adress and can contact me in posting.

There are many members now that are good on lamps and or even if you have a lamp idea or need... just might make it happen such as Mark from Osram/Sylvania did for our BTH idea that was a Controlbooth requested lamp. I just presented it to Mark that took it to production. Good stuff done at times. This even unique for like 20 years a new conventional lamp that’s useful.

Mostly now, I’m not needed as per the original request Dave sent out years ago on Stagecraft Forum in starting up his website for industry people to help advise. Initially there was some great and heated debates into concepts, but now its’ more settled discussions. Years later, those students we advised later became professionals and are paying it back in their own expertise. And we now have others that are at times more experienced or better trained in giving help. Though I would hope for more woman’s advice as experts coming, website isn’t going away and I gave back to my teachers enough to at this time go home and care for that.

As needed, I might chime in at times but mostly not. More I might reply when needed thru others in asking what is what and mostly for old gear. Sorry and thanks for years of interest at times but signing off the website as an active member.

Last edited:
Nooooooooooo!

I really hate to see somebody who has so much experience leave. I have gained a wealth of knowledge from your posts.

Good luck with your real life beyond the computer world. You certainly have your priorities straight. Best wishes to you and your family.

Dr. Pinto

Thanks for all the advice and experience you've shared over the years Ship! Hope you have fun in the real world!

Thank you for everything Ship. Best of luck to you in your new adventure with your family.

~Dave

Very sorry to see you go, Ship. I've learned more than I ever thought possible from this forum over the last few years, and much of that is due to your willingness to share your extensive knowledge of the industry. I know that myself and many others will continue to refer to your highly informative posts on these forums for years to come. I wish you the best with your family and career, and drinks are on me the next time I find myself in northern IL.

Thank you so much my friend. CB probably would not exist today if it wasn't for you. Thank you for taking the time to care about the next generation of technicians, you have made a huge impact on so many over the years and you will continue to for years to come, all because you took the time to help get this thing started out right.

If you ever need parenting advice or another father's shoulder to lean on you know where to find me.

Ship, you have been a legend here at Controlbooth. I can't tell ya how many posts I've seen that say something to the tune of "Hopefully Ship will be along soon..."
Not only have you contributed by replying with pertinent information, but the great detail you go in to is unrivaled. Someone says they have an old fresnel and you tell them exactly how to resurface the contacts even to the smallest detail. I am going to miss your descriptions of personal projects and forensic lamp failure analysis. It's always sad to lose a member -- a senior member at that, but I know you're off to bigger and better things! I know you'll have your plate full, but I hope you find time every once in a while to pop in and say hello. Hope you don't feel obligated to give tech help -- the Off Topic section will do just fine (maybe we can limit your membership so you can't get distracted? ;) ).

Good luck Ship, and congratulations!

Last edited:
Ship,
Mere words cannot express my thanks for your insight and advice over the years
All the very best for the "dad" chapter of life about to open.

But there is one last thing I'm sure many of us would love for you to do, and that's to let us all know when bub comes along and that, all things being equal, mum and bub are doing well...

Hey Ship,

THanks for all your contributions to the 'booth.

Best wishes for a happy daddy-dom. If you send me a PM I will describe for you the secret new dad handshake that is a bit of a tradition at my theatre.

Good luck on the most adventurous trip of your lifetime. Raising my daughters was the most difficult and rewarding enterprise of my life. I have enjoyed your posts and learned much from you. Enjoy.

Ship -
Congratulations and good luck. Send us pictures of the baby when you can.

Maybe one day we will be saying "Hopefully Ship's Daughter will be along soon ..."

Last edited:
Congrats Ship! You will certainly be missed around here, but since the only thing that requires more time than reading your posts is being a full time father, your time will certainly not be squandered.

All the best!

I am sad to hear you are retiring from the cb. You Definately have your priorities straight lots of people and especially employers do not believe in putting your family before work. I have learned a lot from your lamp failure analysis. Don't be afraid to drop in and say hi and post a few pics. Also don't forget to still go out with your wife and have some personal time (give her a break).

Tagging on with so many others. Your assistance has been greatly appreciated and a part of you has made it in to numerous productions I've worked on. Kids are one of the greatest blessings in life. You're in for a great time. And keep in mind that retirement doesn't mean going away, simply pulling back a bit and passing actual responsibility on to others (which makes things much more enjoyable).

Thanks for all your contributions to the site, Ship. We're definitely going to miss you.

Congratulations on becoming a father. If you give even 10% of the attention to your daughter that you've given to helping people out here on the booth, you will be an outstanding dad. She couldn't be in better hands.

You and your family are in my prayers.

So long ship! You will be sorely missed my friend! Hope to see you lurking around every once in a while.

All our very best wishes to you and your lucky daughter, Ship! :clap:

Having the awesome privilege of being a father to a couple girls myself- ENJOY IT! :) It passes much too quickly-

You and your family are in our prayers as well. Good choice, friend. We'll see you here when you get a chance-

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. Your insightful advice will be missed around here.

Ship, you will be missed, but you will also be back.

Great news about the new addition to the family. It will seem like no time at all before she is reading all your posts here and comments "Jeez, Dad, you wrote all this ?." followed by "Oh, by-the-way, I have a date for Saturday night !".

So a thanks for the many hours you put in to help make CB what it has become.

Steve Bailey
Lighting Director/Head Electrician
Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts at Brooklyn College

Users who are viewing this thread

Back