College Shipping off to Renssalaer Polytech.

z2oo

Hi all!
I'm finally heading to college at RPI in the upstate NY area, and while I'm not majoring in theatre there (it's a heavy STEM school), I really did want to get involved as early as possible with lighting and projections in the Capital Region. RPI has an amazing Experimental Media Performing Arts Center, but I suspect I may not be satisfied with what's offered on campus, being that I enjoy live theatre much more than the experimental type that the EMPAC excels in.
I'm aware of Capital Rep and the Egg in Albany, but I wanted to ask if anyone knows what opportunities are actually accessible to a student like myself, and don't involve what seems to be a very broad internship like what I've found at Capital Rep. If anyone in the Albany/Troy area can give me some feedback, or even point me in the right direction, I would be much obliged.

Thanks everyone --
Alex

EDIT: And of course I've misspelled my school's name... I promise I know how to spell

The Egg sucks. Don't send your resume' to [email protected]. It would be disastrous for your future.

EMPAC is a pretty interesting place. LOTS of toys there. I'm pretty good friends with the head carpenter over there. Ironically they have very little student involvement in the day to day.

RPI does have a student run community style theatre that is pretty active. There are also tons of community theatres in the area that are extremely active and put up good work. SLOC, Albany Civic, Home Made Theatre, Curtain Call... the list goes on.

Thanks so much! I'll be taking note of all of those.

I'm aware of the lack of student involvement at EMPAC, which is why I'm trying to spread out and find other opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back