shotgun mic

AlexD

I was wondering about shot gun mics, how much area do they pick up? I have looked on control booth, shure fqa and on Google but found nothing L im awefull at researching… so ye basically how much area will a shot gun pick up at 3m?

I was wondering about shot gun mics, how much area do they pick up? I
Microphones don't have a range, per se, they have a sensitivity. The more sensitive a microphone is, the better it will be able to pick up quieter sounds.
...have looked on control booth, shure fqa and on Google but found nothing L im awefull at researching… so ye basically how much area will a shot gun pick up at 3m?

Shure has an article that may perfectly fit your dilemma. It's called "The Myth of Microphone Reach". Take a look.

Oh, and there are also a couple of threads on Page 2 of the main sound forum page. One is about Mic Directionality and the other is about Shotgun mics. Search for them and they'll help you out, too.

I say "try it out" and see what happens at different distances with the shotgun and the source material (vocals, instruments, etc.). Report back with the results.

Last edited:
kind of phrased that wrong, i meant to ask how much area dose a shotgun pick up? liek a meter square or 2 meters squared? or dose it realy depend on the shotgun used?

it depends on the microphone...
If you have the polar pattern, you can see the area it might cover.

And again, read the sure article. It's obvious you haven't - you'll seen right away you can't measure sound range in 'feet' or 'meters'...

Ye sorry i would have but it was getting late and I had to go to bed. But thanks for those articals, i just scaned the first pargraph and they look intresting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back