Shotgun mics

doive

Hi,

I'm helping out with sound for a musical. I need some 'ambient' mics for the chorus (which this theatre has NONE of!) i was wondering what would be a good bet?

The bars i can hang off are ~5m above the stage which is 7.5m wide and 4m deep. I was just imagining having a pair of shotgun mics above stage on either side of the stage, what would you guys recommend?

Hi,

I'm helping out with sound for a musical. I need some 'ambient' mics for the chorus (which this theatre has NONE of!) i was wondering what would be a good bet?

The bars i can hang off are ~5m above the stage which is 7.5m wide and 4m deep. I was just imagining having a pair of shotgun mics above stage on either side of the stage, what would you guys recommend?

Do you mean that the theatre has no (a) ambient mics or (b) chorus members?

If they have the chorus members, then ambient miking might work alright - you'll just have to make sure you can get a good enough sound with them not feeding back. However, if there aren't any chorus members, I doubt any microphone will give you the desired results since there won't be anything for them to pick up.

Shotgun mics mic be alright, but hanging microphone types (aka choir mics) might be better since you can get them closer to the action without obstructing sight lines. The Audio-Technica U853 is pretty common.

If you are buying new, the crown CM-31 is a good mic for this purpose. As with boundary (PCC's), hanging mics will help amplify the overall sound, but they are only as good as what is going into it. They will help.... but they won't make a chorus sound like they all have body mics on. I have spent way more of my life trying to convince people that its not my fault people can not hear, its the person onstage.

Ditto that last post. If your voice can't make it to the mic there's nothing I can do for you.

If I were to reach in my own box I'd probably grab two or three Shure SM-81 condensers to hang up. They're a full sized mic though so you have to keep them up out of sight. Or some SM-91 mics along the front of the stage. Trouble with any of those is that if Uncle Ed coughing in the fifth row is louder than Little Sally Stagefright you get it in the mix. Same goes for the musicians in the pit.

Almost every manufacturer also makes some type of "choir" mic which is generally an omnidirectional condenser and almost completely useless for anything other than recording a chorus concert. Using them live is sheer hell unless your aud is accoustically perect. Usually the talent on stage in a high school show makes things even worse with the level of consistency you usually get.

In lieu of all of that I've had some pretty good luck on shows where the director cast a few "pit singers" to flesh out the cast. Usually it would be one of each voice (Soprano, alto, tenor and bass), sometimes more if there were a ton of parts. We'd usually seat them with the woodwinds (as far from the brass and percussion as is practical) and I'd give them each a dynamic vocal mic on a stand. They could get very close and give a very good signal. I'd do a little trickery with the effects processor to make them sound like more people than there were, and in combination with the voices on stage it sounded like a million bucks.

Of course you'll never get it to fly if it isn't the directors idea and they come to you. Always worth putting a bug in their ear and seeing if they'll keep it in mind for futurre shows, especially after they see what a crap job area micing does on stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back