Wireless Shure ULX Pro Wireless body packs reception cutting out

AYT93

I recently rented 6 wireless shure mics from my old school for a performance in a different venue. when i did an outdoors rehearsal yesterday i was having a lot of problems with the reception cutting out. btw the actual performance is indoors. the recievers were no more that 10 feet away from the transmitters and in perfect line of sight.

one person i spoke to said that there is a signal range adjustment on the receiver but i do not know of this existing, nor do i think it would help because they were not far apart. someone else told me to change the frequencies that i am using, which is going to be my next step. im wondering if anyone else has any ideas about what to do, or has any tips for choosing a new frequency.

It may very well be the frequencies you are on, however I would test inside and see if that fixes, not that changing the frequencies on 6 mics is too big of a deal but...

I agree. More than likely it is a frequency coordination issue. The RF environment in every space is completely different. Care must be made in selecting proper frequencies, especially when multiple units are being operated.

~Dave

So let me check here... you're operating outdoors in NYC.
The words good luck come to mind...

What band split/s are these units in?
You can't just go and pluck 6 frequencies out of the air and expect them to work, you will need to either use a preengineered group provided by Shure or do a frequency coordination...

well the performance is indoors, the rehearsal was outside in a park which is what i figured would be the issue. last year i didnt have a problem with using the frequencies the mics i rented came on, but those were worse quality mics. ill try out scan for new frequencies and testing. anyone know if the ulx has an auto scan feature to find a clear frequency?

The situation indoors could be much different since the building itself will greatly attenuate some potentially interfering sources. You didn't mention where the locations are relative to one another but keep in mind that the sources and associated levels of interference may differ between the two locations so what works well at one location may not work as well at another.

You did not mention if these are the ULX-S (Standard) or ULX-P (Pro) series, but I believe both have an automatic scan function. You can find the associated User Guides on Shure's web site at www.shure.com. Just remember to document the current settings before you change anything, although they are apparently getting paid for rental so they should be prepared to deal with it, your old school would probably appreciate getting them back with them returned to the settings they had when you got them.

I would not use an autoscan function in NYC. Do it right, and pick frequencies that are known clean. Start with TV channels that are clear (TV Fool) and use the pre-made groups on those channels. All mics should use the same group, different channels.

Also: You said the receivers were no farther than ten feet. I would argue this may be too *close*. Try getting a bit more separation so you don't overdrive the front-end. What kind of antennas are you using?

they are the ulx pro series. and im using the standard antennas that come with the units not any paddles. the rehearsal space and the performance space are a good distance from eachother so i will try out the same frequencies that werent working at before when i get into the new place first before changing any

heres my results from tv fool TV Fool (idk if you can see that, but if not then the address is 77 marsh ave, staten island ny 10314) what info from that would tell me a good group to choose

What bandsplit are you? M1? J1? Something else? I would look for channels that fall within the bandsplit you have that are tinted red in the chart at the bottom. The lower the channel in the list (if it does not have a red "C" next to it and appear again above) the better it is. Basically, you're looking for the weakest TV transmitter you can to operate on top of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back