Sky drop poll

BillConnerFASTC

Curious of what is common for material. Lets limit this to public high schools in the US. I've specified nothing but the RP materials for over 10 years - maybe nearer 20 - Rosco twin white or Garriets Opera. I know muslin and perhaps leno are still common and maybe some prefer those still.

So, I estimate - guess - between 5 to 25% are plastic, the rest predominantly muslin, and of the muslin, 50-50 seamed versus seamless. Maybe 5% leno, seamless. And I'll add that probably 75$ of the muslin or leno sky drops are beyond the generally accepted 5 year flame retardant treatment limit.

I could be way off - but just looking for some perspective. I don't know if any of the vendors have the kind of database that can be a little more definitive or not.

I've mostly encountered the old seamed muslin ones. If I had to make one now in that financial bracket I'd look into an IFR velour full black, that hopefully matches the stock house masking, and make my own holes xmas lights / leds. The velouse would be heavy enough that you could stitch the cables to it and not have to worry about a second material to support the weight of the lights. Velour because it would reduce any sheen from other lights, and so it could more easily blend when not in use during the performance, or even become the go to up stage black. Bonus points for providing an excellent project for the students.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back