The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Smoke IEC Extension

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by iandy, Mar 10, 2008.

1. iandy

iandy Member

I have a small smoke machine which runs off a remote that is connected my IEC.... However the cable is like 2m long and i need much longer!

If I was to get an IEC extension, which I have just seen you can actually get, Do you think this would work?

Smoke machine = http://www.lifeismusic.co.uk/lights/Antari-Z-80-Smoke-Machine-1721.aspx

p.s you can get a wireless remote for it, but we ain't budgeted for it! and its only £50!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

Quick search for IEC extension yields all kinds of goodies from 2 - 10m in length and top three that I would actually go to to buy all carried the UL stamp, I'd say it'd work fine.

3. iandy

iandy Member

Yeah I saw the IEC extensions, just didnt know if they would work! I Might just give it ago!

4. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    The manual for that is worthless, can you get a picture of the remote and the back of the unit?

5. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

The IEC extensions do work. I used a 25' one to control a smoke machine very close to that model. Worked fine.

6. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stagehand/ Production Company Owner
    Is it just regular line voltage AC power?

7. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

I honestly have no idea. The remote box seemed pretty small and lightweight to have a 120VAC timer in it (it was a timer remote), and the switches didn't seem heavy-duty enough to carry that kind of voltage.

8. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

If you plugged it into the wall and it didn't go into an adapter at some point (like the box in the middle of laptop cords) then it was using A/C Line voltage, if it internally adapts is a question for the manufacture but that's outside of the scope of this thread me thinks

9. sound_nerd

sound_nerd Active Member

I've got a fogger that uses IEC for it's control cable. It's a low voltage signal, although not sure what voltage, but I just cut the remote cable in two parts, added edison ends and now just make it however long I want with the edison cable that I have loads of.

10. n1ist

n1ist Well-Known Member

The Chauvet (and likely American DJ) ones actually use the IEC for line voltage control, but use a non-standard pinout. They use the pin that's normally ground for the neutral, and the one that's normally neutral for a switched neutral. The hot is still hot. The remote gets its power between H and G, and has the control triac between N and G. Not quite code compliant, but won't cause fireworks if someone plugs a standard line cord in instead of the fogger.

avkid likes this.