Smoking toaster?

So, my school is doing a performance of "When God comes for breakfast, you don't burn the toast" for a one act competition, and we need a simple way to make a toaster smoke. Preferably small and not too complex, as an on stage deck crew will be holding the toaster (instead of scene changes or a set, everything is treated as a prop and things are periodically move on and off by "matchsticks," the techs. As in, the phone is held by a tech onstage until it is no longer needed). Any ideas?

EDIT: It needs to smoke a few times throughout the act

Last edited:
In addition, I'd probably add a small light source to make sure that the smoke can be seen. General stage lighting may wash it out and make you need more smoke than necessary for the visual.

Since it's inside a metal insulated object I'd be much more likely to go with a heated fog effect. something like one of those toy 'smaoke ring' guns. disassembled and installed inside the toaster. I would also use Ruinexplorers advice and add a couple orang/red LEDs to give it that nice warm heating element glow. The whole thing could be run by battery and triggered by whomever was holding it.

Taking Van's suggestion, a quick google found this company:Zero Vapor Toys: Zero Toys Online Store
And here is one of their demo vids:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They also sell what they call the Dragon Puffer which looks like the oneDrPinto posted.
I might add that I am so going to order the Wizard stick/bubble combo pack for myself(it is at the end of the vid)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you already have the conceit of having techs on stage holding the props, you could just go to your local theatre supplier and pick up a can of smoke. I can't remember the bands off the top of my head, but I know that a couple peels make aerosol smoke cans that you can just spray. Give one to the tech with the toaster and you a set. Cheap, easy, portable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back