Soil onstage

Sitbon

Hi all. I'm designing a set for a play with a surreal bent and thinking about using soil onstage over lino.
  • What types of soil can be used?
  • What are the risks? Can it be treated? Does it need to be?
  • What other materials can be used on stage to suggest soil/earth? I was told rubber tyres can be made into small pellets which look like soil from a distance, however no idea where to start with this one.
Thanks

Andrew;)
Wix.com Theatre Director - Designer created by andrewmcmillan based on Classic Portfolio | Wix.com

Floors rotting, insect infestations, and a really lot of weight collapsing stage floors are all considerations which have led to unfortunate consequences in some cases. KA buses ground cork as I recall - but that's more of a sandy beach quality than a yard or garden look.

• What other materials can be used on stage to suggest soil/earth? I was told rubber tyres can be made into small pellets which look like soil from a distance, however no idea where to start with this one.

Cryogenically frozen and crushed tyres are regularly recycled to make the filling and cushioning material in artificial turf in sport fields. I can't quickly find a link to where you could just buy bags of it, but in the US there are many companies using it.

The crushed rubber might be up there with glitter or confetti - not sure you'll ever get it all cleaned up.

How much dirt are you talking? The whole stage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back