Somewhat OT - painting a cross in the front of a church

JLNorthGA

I need an off-white paint that will "pop" and show the cross to good advantage.

The cross is in the front of the church and sits on the window frame. People have been complaining that it isn't noticeable enough. Should I consider a fluorescent or phosphorescent paint or what? The cross has been there for over 20 years - but now people are complaining.

I would prefer to have it off-white - but white is acceptable - it just needs to be noticed. I figure painting is less expensive than replacing. I have considered the Rosco fluorescent paints and I'm willing to consider others.

Is the cross interior or exterior, and are people complaining that they can't see it in the day, or evening? Hard to get brighter than white. Phosphorescent will give you nothing during the day and almost nothing at night by the time you factor in light trespass from nearby sources. Not convinced fluorescent will give you much more (unless you're going to paint it bright orange or something, which might breed other complaints). Have you considered a metallic like silver or gold? Being off-white and reflective might give you added perceived brightness. Or can you put an outdoor spotlight on a timer to hit it with more light?

Is the cross interior or exterior, and are people complaining that they can't see it in the day, or evening? Hard to get brighter than white. Phosphorescent will give you nothing during the day and almost nothing at night by the time you factor in light trespass from nearby sources. Not convinced fluorescent will give you much more (unless you're going to paint it bright orange or something, which might breed other complaints). Have you considered a metallic like silver or gold? Being off-white and reflective might give you added perceived brightness. Or can you put an outdoor spotlight on a timer to hit it with more light?

It is an interior cross - it is mounted so that it is "back lit" from the north facing window. There is a little front light on it - but it is a PITA to light it directly as the light bounces of the windows.

If it is in front of a window than wed are dealing with a contrast issue. A color like the golden gate bridge in San Fransisco will work on cloudy orr sunny days.

Could you paint the edges in a metallic, or contrasting color, to make it stand out more? Pictures would help.
I've found a nice contrasting color for the outer edges and a nice off-white for the front. Need less than a quart. Now to present it to the "decorating" committee. Of course - there will be all the nay-sayers and second guessers.

Pull out all the stops and make a mini cross for them each to have and walk around with to see how they like it.

Oh dear, not the dreaded "decorating committee", best of luck with that. I feel your pain. I could tell you stories about decorating commities at country clubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back