SOOW Cable Questions

Nelson

I'm comparing prices on SOOW (12/3 by the way) and found some Cerrowire brand cable at Home Depot. It has a CPE jacket -- What is that? Is that what other SOOW cable uses? I always thought that EPDM was standard for jackets. Would it be good for stage use? This seems to be the cheapest cable I've found (under $1.00/ft), and I'm always cautious about buying the cheapest I can find!

Also, is S, SO, or SOO available on the market, or is all the cable SOOW now (excluding the thermoplastic cables, I never buy those)?

Forget about the Home Despot stuff, doesn't meet code for stage use. ...
Not true. Cerrowire CPE.pdf. If a cable is labeled as SOOW, it's acceptable any time extra-hard usage cord is required. CPE (Chlorinated PolyEthylene) is just another jacket material. I believe a rubber additive or perhaps a synthetic rubber.

Cable Types, S, SO, SOOW, SJ. Type S, I don't think anyone makes anymore. You could probably get SO, SOO, but might cost more than SOOW or SOWA.

All that being said, I'd check with a local electrical supplier, like Graybar, as well as local and internet stage supply vendors, before buying from a big box store. The big box store might not have the best price, but then again it might, if shipping must be factored in.

Last edited:
Mea Cupa. I stand corrected. I am not familiar with the Cerrowire brand and with my usual distrust of big box items, I didn't check out the product before answering. It is indeed an acceptable cable for stage use. As Derek suggested, also check with electrical suppliers in your area.

Michigan Electric Supply Co.
976 E Wood St.
Flint MI 48503
Phone 810-234-8661
Fax 810-234-3202

Michigan Electric Supply Co
1118 S. Washington Avenue
Lansing Mi 48910
Phone 517-485-7251
Fax 517-485-9238

Allied Electrical
248-358-2800

K/E Electric Supply
146 N. Groesbeck Highway
Mount Clemens, MI 48043
Phone: (586) 469-3005
Fax: (586) 469-3006
Brighton, MI

2155 Pless Drive
Brighton, MI 48114
Phone: (810) 227-7005
Fax: (810) 227-7001
Livonia, MI

35101 Schoolcraft Rd.
Livonia, MI 48150
Phone: (734) 422-3005
Fax: (734) 422-3006
Port Huron, MI

3450 Lapeer Road
Port Huron, MI 48060
Phone: (810) 989-9000
Fax: (810) 989-9006

The first character is S, the second character is O. Do not use cable with the second character of J. (There are some exemptions, but don't use for standard cord.) Not sure about the availability of straight S as I have not seen it in years. Go to the Wiki on this site and you will get a good breakdown of all the cable types.

Almost all of my 6/4 SO cable came from Home Depot over the years. Even the 30 year old stuff is in great shape, no case cracks or hardening of insulation.

Thanks for the responses. I am familiar with the designations, just wasn't sure what was still in production since I only seem to see SOOW listed for sale.

The only reason I was considering buying cable at Home Depot is it is a reasonable drive and I sometimes go there anyway. Every place I've found online is more expensive only because of shipping costs. Still, I'm a little nervous about their cable. I want to make sure that when I invest in equipment (even cable), it will last for years. Like others have mentioned, I am also still using some very old type S that is still in great condition as well as newer cables. On the flip side, I've thrown away cable that I thought should have lasted longer than it did. I'm not in any hurry to buy cable, so I'm taking my time to find the best price of good quality cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back