Sound recording legal issues

Khai

At the place im working at currently is using a digico sd7.
its a resident show so the system records multitracks via network madi for troubleshooting purposes.. The tracks are recorded pre channel strip..
is it illegal to record etc vocal mics at all times during show? Even when the cast is off stage having alone time..
is it illegal to record the person next to the cast with the lapel mic on without him knowing it.. Etc ambience..

are there any international laws regarding this?

Do they all know that ANYTHING they say, or hear, can and probably will be recorded?

Phew, you're going to need an Actor's Equity expert for those questions, and maybe even an attorney that is familiar with the laws of Singapore.

I can say that at any time we make a recording of a show for any reason, the cast and musicians are told. We only record from curtain up to curtain down on the master outs, or post fader for specific channels. When an actor is in mic they should know that at anytime someone may hear what they say, but only live. I would never even put myself in a position to have a recording of what is said backstage, that's a political mine field.

Interesting question.

...its a resident show so the system records multitracks via network madi for troubleshooting purposes.. The tracks are recorded pre channel strip. ...
How could this possibly help in troubleshooting? Wouldn't a post-fade iso track of each channel be more beneficial? I don't know the console, so don't know how difficult that would be, but I suspect it's simple.

I don't know about Singapore. Try googling "wiretap laws" in your area?

In the US, most states will allow a recording as long as one person in the conversation knows about it, so you couldn't record off an ambient lapel mic unless the person wearing it was aware. As far as during a show, it's probably illegal and you would want to check with the publisher of the music or show in advance.

is it illegal to record etc vocal mics at all times during show? Even when the cast is off stage having alone time..
Are you talking about theater mics or stage mics? If you are talking about recording people with body mics while they are off stage without their knowledge yes, in the united states that is covered by the same anti-surveillance laws, so you can get yourself sued for that, or even sued for listening in on something backstage without their knowledge. If you're talking about recording mics that are just sitting on stage, that would be covered by your specific contract.

Again, why would pre-channel strip help? just curious

In days when the artistic director does not like how each
Scenes sounds or when there are new scenes being brought in..
We can use the previous show recording or let te muscians and cast to go
Through te new scene Once.. And i can work before or after show without calling
Evryone back..

I think no matter what it at least needs to be clear to the people being recorded that it is a possiblity (whether it is legal or not) if it is, they certainly need to know anything they say once on mic could work it's way into a recording.

From a simple standpoint I would think if you told everyone that there Mics are being recorded at all times they are worn you shouldn't have an issue. Also common sense says that if you have a Mic on the sound board operator can always hear it and possibly everyone near a speaker with output, so they need to watch what they say anyways.

Laws may differ people are ludicrous.

Everyone please keep in mind that copyright, privacy, etc. laws can differ significantly in different geographic locations. I suggest speaking with a a legal expert on the topic in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back