Source Four Mini

There is some way 12 volt track lights can be dimmed with the 120v being dimmed from a regular wall dimmer. It is some sort of circuit inside, not a wire wrapped iron core transformer like on a power pole.

Actually plain magnetic transformers are fine to dim. The only concern is that this can generate more heat than would normally be there when not dimming. This can be a concern if you're using a load equal to the transformer's rating, but if you have a 75W transformer and a 50W or smaller lamp then you won't have any problems. Magnetic transformers labeled as dimmable simply take the derating into account for you.

You're right, though, that it's probably an electronic transformer as they're smaller and more efficient. Hatch, Lightech, and others all make dimmable electronic transformers for 12V lamps in a variety of sizes. Some will work correctly with a standad SCR or TRIAC based wall dimmer, but some require an ELV (reverse-phase) dimmer.

Our video of Fred Foster demonstrating the Mini for CB at USITT is now up and running here in the USITT 2013 Convention subforum.

Last edited:
So will any 50w, 35* MR16 work? What about LED retrofit lamps? Looking through the spec sheets on those, most specify they are not to be used in a totally enclosed fixture, which I'm guessing the Source Four Mini is. Has ETC done any testing on these?

Merrily keeping this thread stitching along, some thoughts on the lamp.
http://1000bulbs.com/search/?q=eurostar+IR
It is interesting to note that the Eurostar IR 50w,35* is the most expensive of all of them. ETC lists lamp life at 4000hrs and ushio lists lamp life at 6000hrs, I wonder if this has to do with the enclosed nature of the fixture.

I was looking around online and 4wall/newlighting.com shows late April shipping and PNTA shows a May 1st release date.

I like how the "Features" list the lamp twice with two different hour lives. And I'm not sure what they mean by "tool free lamp adjustment" when there is no bench focusing the lamp...

way to go 4wall :lol:

Last edited:
It does say "provided by" now that could mean "thanks for making this for us to steal it"

"Please Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

The better question is, do we care? As long as there is still a CB logo at the start and ending, the answer is No! More people watching that video means more people learning about CB. If you Google "ETC Source 4 Mini" the number one result is that video and the number two is this thread. That makes dvsDave very happy.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care whether they asked or not, I was just impressed that if they just used it on the site they did make a point to cite where it came from.

Via tapatalk

It was there. Slightly brighter ( or at least bluer ) than the tungsten version. Transformer on the side of the fixture. No DMX ( ie will not dim out to 0% smoothly). Did not get hot. That's about all the difference I saw.

It was there. Slightly brighter ( or at least bluer ) than the tungsten version. Transformer on the side of the fixture. No DMX ( ie will not dim out to 0% smoothly). Did not get hot. That's about all the difference I saw.

Actually, it does dim to 0% smoothly....sorry we didn't show that there. It is indeed possible to dim LEDs to 0% smoothly and R+D departments need to start figuring out how to do this. Coming up from 0% is more difficult.

David

Actually, it does dim to 0% smoothly....sorry we didn't show that there. It is indeed possible to dim LEDs to 0% smoothly and R+D departments need to start figuring out how to do this. Coming up from 0% is more difficult.

David
David

You might want to spread that meme internally. The rep I talked to said it would cut out at the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back