Source Four Mini

I saw a unit on at an expo on 3/25, and it was nice to see... no DMX needed, just dims via line voltage, so easy to install seeing that only power is needed. It would be cool to see a Luster version, but I'm not holding my breath, as the applications where that is needed/desired would be minimal. But still very cool (pun intended) for permanent install applications. I'm still jealous that all ETC employee's got a incandescent version for Christmas... I'm still waiting for mine!...

Hey everyone! Delighted to see there's a forum about all this lighting stuff! I am an architect and am looking to use a Gobo projection in an installation I am creating. Here's the brief below...

I am creating an installation in a hostel in the UK and am interested in using Gobo lighting within it.

There is a graphic being printing 4 meters by 2 meters along a hallway and we want to project onto it when the lights are turned off using a completely silent gobo projector.

Attached is the graphic intend with the gobo lighting turned on and off aswell as a graphic showing the width of the hallway in where the projection light is intended to go. There is room for movement too and from the wall if needed.

With the research I have done I believe the Mini Source Four projector with a 50 Degree Lens should work. With the detailing I have provided can you confirm I am correct?

Also are there any other options that are more affordable as I still have to convince the boss this is worth doing!

Any input would be very much appreciated thanks guys!

Moon-Graphic-Dimensions-of-area2.png
Moon-Graphic-Gobo-off-with-dimensions.png
Moon-Graphic-Gobo-on.png

Outside of what you asked, the sandman logo (I don't know about the other stuff) is copyrighted so be careful using that. You could find a used full size or junior S4 for cheaper, there are other options too like led projectors too.

Via tapatalk

Outside of what you asked, the sandman logo (I don't know about the other stuff) is copyrighted so be careful using that. You could find a used full size or junior S4 for cheaper, there are other options too like led projectors too.

Via tapatalk

All artwork will be commissioned to local artists. The current graphics are just to present the idea.

What I'm finding is that the LED Projectors dont have a very wide angle lens and as I can't physically go back too far from the wall this leaves the projection area quite small.

Also there is a health and safety issue with bumping heads so that is why I need a small projector. The Original Source 4 looks huge!

Thanks for replying though this is all new to me!

At the distance your shooting a full size or jr source 4 would probably be way to bright even with the smallest available lamp. It would probably be way to big physically too. Can you project from the other side of the hallway? My biggest concern would be that shooting from that much of an angle you would have a lot of keystoning (the top of the image will be a lot narrower than the bottom) to deal with. A 50 degree lens isn't really ideal for image projection in the best of cirumstances, and the steep angle won't help matters. You could probably make things work with the LED version of the mini, that way you could print your own transparencies and just throw in their and if it doesn't look right you can tweak the image in a graphics program and try again. That will make things a lot cheaper than ordering a custom gobo only to find out it doesn't look right and needing to order again.

At the distance your shooting a full size or jr source 4 would probably be way to bright even with the smallest available lamp. It would probably be way to big physically too. Can you project from the other side of the hallway? My biggest concern would be that shooting from that much of an angle you would have a lot of keystoning (the top of the image will be a lot narrower than the bottom) to deal with. A 50 degree lens isn't really ideal for image projection in the best of cirumstances, and the steep angle won't help matters. You could probably make things work with the LED version of the mini, that way you could print your own transparencies and just throw in their and if it doesn't look right you can tweak the image in a graphics program and try again. That will make things a lot cheaper than ordering a custom gobo only to find out it doesn't look right and needing to order again.

Yeh by the sounds of it they'd burn a hole through the wall! haha

Yes it think I may have to project from the other side of the hallway. Which isn't a major problem just means tall people might cast a shadow. That would result in using a narrower lens which would be better. I've been told if you know the exact pitch you are setting the light you can get glass gobo's made that take keystoning into consideration? I am waiting to hear back from a company to see if they can do this.

This is all great input guys I really do appreciate this as I'm new in the office here and really want to nail my first creative project. If it gets realised I will make sure to post pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back