Spanset Inspections

LavaASU

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know why the inner yard termination?? is done so differently across brands? On the ones I've retired, one had the ends taped (it looked like gaff) with 3 bundles ending in the same spot, and one had staggered knots. I've felt ones where there seems to be taping in 3-4 places, and one (type) where there was a 3" or so stiff spot that I presume was this point.

2. Is there a consensus on 2 layer jacket versions, what the acceptable level of damage to the outer jacket is when the inner jacket is okay?

Honestly, Id suggest phasing out the nylon span sets, and go with steel flex or G.A.C. flex, easier to inspect and know when to retire and will hold long enough for firefighters to get everyone out in case of an emergency. That said its just however manufactures decide to terminate them. They are rated so no worries from that position.

As far as what the acceptable level of damage to the outer jacket is. As long as you can't see any of the inner chords except through the window you should be fine. The only reason the second layer is there is to keep things neat and tidy and to protect the inner strands from sun damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back