stage manager running the light board?

First, I found this fairly interesting...

For our productions the SM is in the booth sitting next to the light board operator. She is on the intercom with the sound board, back stage, and pit orchestra, but since most of her cues are to the the light board (200+) in a show we do not want a communication problem there. The person back is responsible for informing the SM when thigns are ready backstage, and also relaying cues from the SM to back stage staff.

ALso for us the SM has to understand music since many of our cues are based on the score.

If your SM really dosen't know anything about lighting, then train them. I think they'd be glad to have the knowledge, and you're really making good use of them.

I agree with this in principle - I think a stage manager is better at their job if they have at least a basic understanding of how other departments work. However, I also know several stage managers who find the idea of running a lighting board terrifying and quite frankly, however much it may make them a better SM, it's just not worth the effort to try and train them up! They'll never be truly confident with it, and that can hinder the show rather than helping it.

ALso for us the SM has to understand music since many of our cues are based on the score.

This is a tangent, but I totally agree. I've seen operas called by SMs who don't read music, and it does my head in. I learnt to read music at the same time as I learnt to read (my mother is a music teacher!!) - it's just something I've always done, and it absolutely makes me a better SM when it comes to musicals. As well as calling the show from score (I'm currently in the midst of sorting out a combined script and score for our upcoming production of Cabaret), having a musician as a stage manager also means that you can talk to the MD on their level - it's certainly made my job a whole lot easier in a lot of situations.

We have a musical up right now in an 800 person venue. I have the SM running the light board (also an ETC) and calling the show. It has worked very well for us. If both you and the stage manager are comfortable with that arrangement, do it.
It also makes the run of the show less costly, if that's a consideration.

It is interesting to see how many responses seem to offer "the only way to do it" when I find it is very situation dependent. What is the experience and abilities of the SM, ASM and crew? Do you have one or more ASMs? What is the SM's role as far as safety on stage? How complex are the rigging, sets/props and lighting cues? What physical space is available? How are the sightlines? And so on.

Of these I think safety is often a potentially overriding issue. It's great for a SM to have the audience's visual and aural perspective but that's not usually the best place to be in order to deal with any potential problems or issues during the performance.

I someone is calling cues based on music or any live sound then a booth in the back is about the worst place to be as you'll be hearing things after everyone in the audience already heard it. Similarly, think about the fact that a called lighting or sound cue goes direct to the person performing the operation regardless of where the SM is located while a cue for an entrance or live action often has to be relayed if not issued directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back