Stage Manager's Kit

hhslights

So, I have recently taken on Stage Management at my school. I have been reading up on stage management a bit to find out more about what I should be doing during rehearsals and plays. I have recently come across the subject of a stage manager's kit, something to keep with him during rehearsals and what not for quick emergencies. Is there anything I should be including in this kit in particular? How big should this be? I was thinking about the size of a purse, but again, I have practically no idea on what makes a good kit. Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

The kit contains things you need during the course of performances and rehearsals. Pens, pencils, post-its, small sewing kit, spike tape, that sort of thing. Size? Kits can be as small a pencil box or as large as a wardrobe road case.

I have cabinets on either side of my stage for the stage managers, each has:

a first aid kit
roll of gaff tape
roll of glow tape
tie line
needle
thread
safety pins
spare bulbs for clip lights

Other things might be added for specific needs of a show, but off the top of my head that's what we keep in there for the most part. I know you're talking more a personal kit, but I thought this might help.

When I SM, I'll load up a small duffel bag with the following:
Black gaff
1 or 2 rolls of spike
needle
thread
safety pins
paperclips
pens & pencils
highlighters
bandaids
tylenol
sharpie
spare flashlight (I always carry one when backstage)
gloves
pocket knife
5-hour energy shots (I know, I know... but hey, it's better than another type of shot. Don't Drink and Drama.)
munchies
note pad
scissors
batteries

This is from the "SM Manual" at the university I attended.

I. STAGE MANAGER’S KIT

Everyone has headaches, directors want something sweet, designers want a pencil, light board operators want something to read, and you are starving! All of this and more will come up during the rehearsal process, and everyone will turn to you for the remedy.

You will need to carry around a bag or tool box or some sort of container with the following suggested contents (plus anything else you think will be handy).

Various kinds of tape Sewing kit Stopwatch
Scissors Maglite (mini flashlight) Batteries
Plenty of pens Crescent wrench Nail clippers
Plenty of pencils Measuring Tapes Three hole punch
Markers Spike tape Mints
Typing paper Kleenex Stapler
Bobbie pins/Hair ties Hair brush Stapler remover
Hair brush/Comb Pencil Sharpener Safety pins
Multi-tool Pocket Knife Post-its
Screw Drivers Hammer Etc. etc. etc.

It is also very helpful to create a separate container for all first aid materials, including
Band-Aids Instant cold packs Aspirin
Non-aspirin products Cough drops Ace bandage
Saline solution (for contacts) Gauze Latex gloves
Cottons balls Feminine Care Products Emergency phone #’s
Baby Wipes

You may also find it very useful to take some first aid and CPR certification classes. These classes can be taken through the Red Cross for a nominal fee. Unfortunately people do get hurt, and they will look for you to help, being able to help them effectively and correctly will aid any emergency.

SM kits are something you will always use, and people will expect you to have what they want. If someone is using large quantities of a certain item, try to get reimbursed for it. It is great to be prepared with a cold pack when a dancer sprains an ankle, but if you go through five a week, you are going to quickly become very poor. Do not let your cast take advantage of you.

Thanks for the input, I am thinking I am going to do two things with this. I will carry a bag with me to rehersal with contents separated into two categories. One category will be for first aid and general comfort of actors and technicians while the other will contain more technical related items such as tapes, screwdrivers, ect.

I have several different kits, and the one I have with me depends on where I am in the production process. I don't have to deal with first aid, as I work within a company and admin looks after that - and TBH, I don't think an SM should be having to provide first aid supplies unless they're getting reimbursed for it!

I always have my "stationery" kit with me - a multitude of pencils, erasers, highlighters, pens, Sharpies, steel ruler, scale ruler, craft knife, scissors, glue stick, blue-tack, glue gun and glue sticks, Post-its, sellotape, holepunch, stapler, ring reinforcing stickers, USB hub (shaped like a turtle!); I have a "mark-out" kit - loads of different colours of spike tape, electrical tape, stanley knife, tape measures, string, chalk, and drawing pins, and this also stays with me up until opening night (pre-rehearsals for the set markup in the rehearsal room, for putting down furniture spikes during rehearsals, and then moving those spikes to the actual set during production week). Generally I don't have tools in the rehearsal room except if I'm working on a tap show, when I'll have a screwdriver on hand at all times, as well as a box of matches and a tube of Superglue (this was the best trick a dancer has ever taught me!), to put taps back onto the shoes!

I always have a "show emergencies" kit which I get from the lovely Wardrobe department for each show - they'll put together needles and thread, buttons, bobby pins, safety pins and any other costume and show-specific needs. Our department also has a small collection of tools - driver drill, caulking gun with No More Nails, spray glue, bullnose and needlenose pliers, screwdrivers, gunstapler - enough to fix a set or prop breakage well enough to get through the show until one of the set boys can come in the next day and fix it properly! I usually have a roll of gaffer and a torch in my prompt desk as well...

I think everyone here is on the right track and are giving you good advice. I just wanted to point out one thing. You said you are a high school student, so you will NOT want to carry any sharp tools with blades or any medication. Schools have a zero tolerance policy about anything in those two categories. I would agree, that they are great things to have in your kit in any other environment.

~Dave

I think everyone here is on the right track and are giving you good advice. I just wanted to point out one thing. You said you are a high school student, so you will NOT want to carry any sharp tools with blades or any medication. Schools have a zero tolerance policy about anything in those two categories. I would agree, that they are great things to have in your kit in any other environment.

~Dave
It really depends on your school. as a tech dude who practically every teacher high up knows (I also go to high school) I carry a leather man multi-tool and usually a role of electrical tape (even to class just as it is useful) teachers don't mind as they know I have a reasonable use for them. it just depends on who sees you with them. once a teacher saw me using the knife part of the multi tool while up in the biobox fixing up some stuff and she dragged me to the assistant principals office. I just went along with it. The AP practically laughed it off and explained to the teacher that I work at the school as well as study (They actually employ me). As I said. it depends on your school. but always check first. don't just rock up one day with a knife. not good

Cautionary tales abound. This one was brought to my attention on a Scouting forum.

Is it wrong to have zero tolerance for "zero tolerance" policies?

A zero tolerance policy on anything is stupid and lazy. All it does is make the teacher or administrator not have to think. There was an Eagle scout a few years ago that got suspended for having an axe in his trunk. He had done a class for younger scouts the night before and forgot to take it out, somebody said something and he was suspended.

It really depends on your school. as a tech dude who practically every teacher high up knows (I also go to high school) I carry a leather man multi-tool and usually a role of electrical tape (even to class just as it is useful) teachers don't mind as they know I have a reasonable use for them. it just depends on who sees you with them. once a teacher saw me using the knife part of the multi tool while up in the biobox fixing up some stuff and she dragged me to the assistant principals office. I just went along with it. The AP practically laughed it off and explained to the teacher that I work at the school as well as study (They actually employ me). As I said. it depends on your school. but always check first. don't just rock up one day with a knife. not good

Are you me from 5 years ago? I tell this exact same story, except I don't know what a "bio box" is. Though today I'm teaching a group of students how to program their school's expression and I plan to leave my always handy multitool at home. I simply don't know what the rules on such a thing are for volunteers anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Australia most theatres were also cinemas and had "Bioscope projectors" and the projection room was called the Bio-box, these were then used as follow spot rooms and sometimes the lighting control went into them.The name has stuck, even in modern theatres although the Bioscope has passed into history

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioscope_show

The OP is from my home state, so I was speaking to specifically first hand knowledge. Here in the states, this policy is, BY FAR, as standard for schools as no drugs and no guns allowed on property. I never said I agreed with zero tolerance policies, however, it is certainly not in a students best interest to ever try and test one.

~Dave

i too am in high school and have incountered this problem. what i usualy do is i pack my bag of tools (screw drivers, drill, wrenchs both crecent and speed, tapes (gaff, glow masking, spike, electrical) pliers, test meter, leather gloves, 50' of rope, a pully, etc...) and then give it to the tech advisor for the theatre and he keeps it in his classroom. since it's not in my locker during the day no one cares when i bring it out after school. yet even with doing that i don't ever bring a knife in my kit. A. you can't have knives even after school. and B. i can get knives from the shop if i do need one.

First a few things I suggest that I did not notice mentioned to add to the list:

Tweezers (good ones), always useful for slivers and other imaginative things. Usually absent from many first-aid kits when you need them.

Stopwatch (very important as SM in many situations), a watch with CHRONO works but is not as good. Highschools that participate in competitions with specific time guidelines will really need one (like the SEARS Ontario Drama festival).

A GOOD pencil sharpener will save a lot of time monkeying around sharpening. Especially since actors will constantly be borrowing pencils making it unrealistic to spend money on mechanical ones.

I have to agree, no drugs. Every school I know has strong policies on this, but in the real world this is a good idea. You just have to be smart, as some people can't have certain painkillers, etc.

I have a similar story with blades. I was the TD in my highschool when I was there and from grade 10 on I always had a blade of some sort on me. However a small school, with a large population growing up on farms. Most kids would get immediate suspension when caught carrying blades like I did. However every staff member was aware of my duties and capabilities along with responsibilities. I always had a knife of some sort, and usually my multitool as well. When a large show was going in, I'd also have my toolbox on hand.
I remember times when teachers actually went "Steve, can I borrow your knife for a minute?".
There was a very brief incident with a supply teacher who did not know me. Who upon seeing the multitool and mag-light on my belt immediately commanded me to hand them over. I then told the teacher that I did not trust them with my tools, and suggested they call the VP whom I had no difficulty handing them over too. They called the VP who was very peeved for the disturbance. I immediately apologized to the VP, who then said "No. You did the right thing.".

I spent a lot of time in highschool doing various tech from shows, drama class projects, assemblies, helping with other tech though the school, etc. The staff did not mind my carrying a blade as long as they knew that I used it properly.
I imagine in most schools in large cities this would however not be tolerated.

I sometimes carry a blade if I anticipate needing it; however, I'm not yet well enough known as a high ranking tech to be able to consistently get away with it, so I try not to if I can avoid it.

I recommend that you also figure out what your theatre will always have on hand. If a lighting wrench, exacto knife or first aid kit is only yards away it's not necessary to carry that tool unless it is something you constantly need. I always carry a lighting wrench, but it's very small and I use it constantly. Figure out what you won't need to carry, and then divide what you do need to carry into two categories-- stuff you should always have at hand (prompt book, multi-tool, cheap spike tape, small flashlight, pencil sharpener, etc.) Then, figure out stuff that you won't usually need that can be kept in the trunk of your car.

Overall though, as a stage manager you are to some extent the most important student, being in charge of both the technicians and actors to some extent. Be courteous, kind but firm, and make sure that people who aren't working hard are scolded but also remember to praise those who do. A technician will get very angry very quickly if he works really hard ninety-five percent of the time but constantly gets scolded for the other 5 percent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back