Control/Dimming Stage pin Poll

What type of termination?

• Total voters
Because my main venue is very mature; while we buy the Bates product, we get to maintain things that go back to the original Kliegl stuff. We get to keep in practice at all kinds of terminations.........

Just because I like to be the dissenting voice, Union Connector and crimp terminals.

Also, this isn't even a proper poll! We haven't had a good poll in a long time.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't look into the polling options before I posted. Not even sure you can have a poll with two items. Anyway...why do you like UC and ring terminals? Or is it really just the dissenting voice that appeals?

LS

I have more opinions and thoughts on why than is probably healthy. I'll share some when I have time to type it.

I have to side with Greenia, I like the Union Connector crimp terminals. I've got nothing against Bates, but I just like those Union crimps better. I'm not exactly sure why, I just like them.

Lowest on my list would be pressure plate, they drive me crazy.

WOW! over 320 views....but only 9 members gave there opinion? Come on now I know you all have one!

LS

I DON'T have an opinion.
I've never used nor am ever likely to use a Stage Pin...
So why should I care how they get terminated?

But it is interesting to read some of the dicsussion and opinions...

All that follows is strictly IMHO:

Assuming that each connection is made correctly and to spec.

Ring terminal is mechanically the strongest and the best electrical connection but takes the most time to do. Requires proper crimp tool. My personal favorite if labor time ($$) is not an issue.
Pressure plate is next in line for best electrical connection but is low on the mechanical strength. Must have good strain relief correctly installed. No small parts to lose. Faster than ring or ferrule.
Ferrule: Good electrical connection and medium mechanical strength. Must have good strain relief correctly installed. My big fat fingers find the little tube ferrules a PITA to handle.
Wraping the wire around the screw should be made non code compliant for stranded wire. I rarely, if ever, see this type of connection done with all the strands under the screw head.

Last edited:
Left off the list is set screw into receiver tubes or cups - Pintech makes stage pins with this style, and they generally don't ship with ferrules for the connectors. Drawbacks include some of the wire strands don't necessarily land under the screw end, and pluses include fast assembly with one screwdriver.

If I never see another direct-crimp stage pin ever again, I'll die happy.

DEFINITELY Bates (because of the Clear lid option so you can see if someone wired it wrong!) with Ring terminals or Spade terminals. Help me out with this one- What's the appeal of ferrules in use on Stage Pin connectors? A ring connector or even a spade terminal would have better contact and a tighter fit, no? Why did so many of you say Ferrules? Obviously it's better than just the stranded wire wrapped around the screw, but I'm just curious why so many said ferrule over spade or ring terminals.

DEFINITELY Bates (because of the Clear lid option so you can see if someone wired it wrong!) with Ring terminals or Spade terminals. Help me out with this one- What's the appeal of ferrules in use on Stage Pin connectors? A ring connector or even a spade terminal would have better contact and a tighter fit, no? Why did so many of you say Ferrules? Obviously it's better than just the stranded wire wrapped around the screw, but I'm just curious why so many said ferrule over spade or ring terminals.

Easy of use I think. No crimping tool required. I find that I more issues with ring terminals than I do with ferrules. But really it comes down to proper installation of the hardware either way. And how good the strain relief is.

LS

It's Union Connector that makes them with the clear lid, not Bates. And I see no need for the clear lid, if you can't trust the person putting plugs on things then you need to find another person to do it. I also don't like their strain relief setup. The appeal of ferrules is speed and ease of assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back