starry skies

last year I saw a neat stars effect, had to walk up after and see how they did it.

As I recall, they had a big black backdrop, and had cut (vertical?) slits about an inch long all over it, and safety-pinned white christmas lights to the back of it.

some stars appeared bigger than others, it was just great. If you've made one of these or have other helpful ideas, please chime in.

Thx

Last edited:
If you use a scrim you really dont need to cut slits in it at all, just stick the christmas lights behind it. The ones that ive worked with have been 2 circuits and to get different sized stars and to make a more sporadic patern of stars just use etape to black out some of the lights

Last edited:
Oh, please tell me they didn't actually cut up a scrim, please say it isn't so, that just isn't right. I scold people just for touching the scrim and poking it, I can't imagine what would happen if someone cut one up, a small rip is bad enough, but to deliberately cut it, oh the humanity.

That may seem sarcastic in parts, but it's not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies -

yeah, Arez rest easy. as I recall now it was a heavier velour or cotton backdrop - something thick enough that you could safety pin many strings of lights to the back and the wires were not seen through from the front...

I don't know what it cost them or if they took the lights off each year or just rolled it up. Some work to put together but it was impressive and beautiful.

Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back