Depending on what you have, there are several at Rosco Gobos
Some like:
proxy.php
-Starry Sky
proxy.php
-Night Sky 2
proxy.php
-Night Sky 1
I might use "night sky 1" on one side of the cyc or the edges and then "night sky 2" on the other side or the middle depending on the size of the cyc. Then you have stars and then a Moon.

A cheep way that works well is to glue various sized sequins randomly onto numinous black threads hanging one or two feet in front of a full stage black. each thread has a small weight at the bottom.
All of that is lit from both sides by tightly shuttered units. The strings twist and flex a bit when hanging giving you a twinkling effect.

i would not recommend this in front of a cyc. It does work great between a black scrim and a full stage black

Depending on the construction of your cyc, you can hang Christmas lights (net lights work well if you bunch them up enough to create an organic pattern) hung about 12" behind the cyc. You should be able to see the points of light through the weave. This can have the problem of creating too much overall backlit on the goods. I've used it with good effect behind either black scrim or cotton broadcloth and somewhat good behind a night sky drop painted lightly enough not to fill the weave. Anyway, it would be easy to try and see how it goes.

I find star gobos tend to create too large of dots, unless you use a bunch of tight beam units.

I used to work in a venue where our cyc was a white gauze backed with a starcloth - best night sky effects I've ever seen, it worked beautifully. Plus if you got the flyman to shake the gauze ever so slightly, the stars twinkle....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back