Steel cable cuts through catwalk

Beans45601

IMG_20111013_161953.jpg

This has apparently been rubbing for many, many years. It is both fascinating and terrifying to see how far it has gotten.

Wow. Is the cable traveling through the hole, or is it static? I'm surprised the plate would wear rather than the fibers of the cable.

The cable is one of 4 for our 1st electric. 2 of the cables are rubbing, 2 are not. I was actually surprised as well that the plate would wear so much quicker than the cable its self.

Can you move the hole back so it's centered around the cable?

Wow. Is the cable traveling through the hole, or is it static? I'm surprised the plate would wear rather than the fibers of the cable.

The cable is probably made of pretty hard steel, and the plate is probably pretty mild to make it easy to work with. Just my guess...

Not sure which is worse here - the guy who installed it so that it rubbed, or everyone who's seen it rubbing over the years and not addressed it...

I'd lean extremely heavily towards replacing the cables, and figuring out why they're rubbing.

A building here in my town used to have multi-sheave diagonal head blocks, with the short line of the first electric pulled over at a 20+ degree fleet angle, sawing through the frame of the head block. Fortunately, it finally got rerigged before anything bad happened.

Believe it or not it doesn't take years to cut that deep into that relatively thin steel plate. Also cable is heat treated steel, catwalks are not.

That is a pretty terrible design though, doesn't allow for a whole lot of angular offset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back