Strand 300 console not booting.

Hey all,
I've run into issues lately. I have a Strand 300 console with a programming surface, submaster surface, and two screens built in. The two screens do not function properly when the console does decide to Post in the first place.

I've been using external monitors. The internal ones do not function properly at all. they just show random vertical and horizontal lines of random colors, and the CFL tubes on the inside just flicker.

I've ruled out power supply issues, replaced the Disk on Chip module and reloaded it with a new copy of the OS.

Today I had it working perfectly for hours. I called strand, got my upgrade key, and shut it down to hook up the submaster panel.

When I went to boot it, the machine would no longer post.

I'm considering desoldering the internal battery as it has started to leak. I believe that there is some issue with the motherboard and the battery manages to hold a charge for a while that keeps me from posting until it burns off the extra power.

I'm currently waiting for a few hours before trying to power it back up to see if my theory is correct.

I'd like to get this thing up and running again so I can use it on shows. Strand isn't on my favorites list of companies, but their moving light controls top that of the ETC Expression 3 any day, which is what I have available to me most of the time to run multiple studio spot and studio color fixtures.

Anyone have any ideas or encountered this before?

Thanks,
Matt

I'm considering desoldering the internal battery as it has started to leak. I believe that there is some issue with the motherboard and the battery manages to hold a charge for a while that keeps me from posting until it burns off the extra power.
You need to get that battery and it's leaked acid out of there ASAP.
I would suggest you have a replacement on hand when you do it.

One more thing, if the acid has leaked on the PCB you'll need to clean it.

Isopropyl alcohol (at least 90%) on a heavy swab should take care of the acid.

I have removed the battery entirely. As it was soldered directly onto the mainboard in this case, I can't reaily replace it. I'll have to go out and purchase a 3.3v battery and solder one in it's place. I don't mind if the console loses time.

The battery didn't leak badly and still holds 2.2v after two days of usage (2.6v after being run for a few hours, when it worked at least).

I still can't get the console to boot. I've stripped it down to bare minimum - VGA and floppy drive only. I even removed the Disk on Chip module to see if it was the chip (When it's missing, it will still boot -- it just thinks there is no hard drive available).

I'm totally at a loss here. I really don't want to have to send it out to get fixed and spend a lot of money on an 8 year old console. At the same time, I can't afford a new one. I just want to get this one up and running again.

Ironically, minutes after writing my last post, my Fluke Multimeter had its battery run out. No more testing of hardware until I run out and grab another 9v battery.

Still, suggestions are requested :)

Edit: Right before it died, I was able to verify that both DC legs leading to the mainboard are 23.94v, where they should be at (24v), so I'm pretty sure it's not a power supply issue.

If it is, anyone know if TDK still makes power supply models from 8+ years ago? :p

It could be that the console won't complete its boot sequence if the battery check fails. Replace the battery before you try anything else. The battery may be a nicad, so leave the console powered for a few hours to charge after replacement.

It could be that the console won't complete its boot sequence if the battery check fails. Replace the battery before you try anything else. The battery may be a nicad, so leave the console powered for a few hours to charge after replacement.

I'd highly doubt it. Assuming that this Strand is actually a regular PC, I'm fairly certain that PCs dont actually know the difference between whether or not there is a battery in place as long as it's powered up. Also, theoretically, if you leave the power supply plugged in and all, you wouldn't even need the battery.

Disregard everything I said if it's actually a console and not a PC.

Talk to Ron Foley of SCENEWORKS in
Guelph , Ontario, Canada.

Ron is an expert on Strand Controls.....

Don't have their info on hand
but they have a Website.

Say hi from Jim in Fenelon Falls.

Ron can be reached at:

Scenework
67 Watson Rd. South #7
Guelph, Ontario N1L 1E3
Canada Tel: 519-837-0583
Fax: 519-837-2487

also try Joel Epstein at:

Century Lighting Service, Inc
18-02 River Rd
Fair Lawn, New Jersey 07410
USA Tel: 201-791-7000
Fax: 201-791-3167

300/400/500 are regular PC's that interface with a Strand design board that is the brains of the machine. THe Pc board is used for some I/O and sfotware interface and to run the NT kernal for the OS and DOS for file functions. The green varta battery would be on the strand board. It should be a NiMH. Losing the Strand board turns your console into a glorified PC. When the battery is shorted out for a long time we have a hard time fixing these boards as it fries IC's and sometimes traces.

Maurice Garcia
dimmer.com Home Page

Users who are viewing this thread

Back