Strand 300 Level Wheel

djnoyze

I'm helping out a friend of mine who's stuck with a Strand 300, but for some reason we can't get the level wheel or page up/page down buttons to work.

Are we missing something in the user prefs or do we need to try to remap these keys/wheel to function properly?

Thanks in advance...

The level wheel has always been something of an issue with the 300 - IIRC it's pretty much just a rubber band which actually makes it work, linking the wheel to a sensor. If you're confident about it, open the desk up and have a look to see if the rubber band has perished or fallen off - I'd be fairly confident in betting that that is the trouble. The Page Up/Page Down keys I'm not so sure about!

The level wheel has always been something of an issue with the 300 - IIRC it's pretty much just a rubber band which actually makes it work, linking the wheel to a sensor. If you're confident about it, open the desk up and have a look to see if the rubber band has perished or fallen off - I'd be fairly confident in betting that that is the trouble. The Page Up/Page Down keys I'm not so sure about!

The only wheel settings are for mastering and sensitivity. It may be a hardware issue.

Page Up/Down don't have any settings in setup so you are welcome to try a 220CLEAN or a reinstall of the OS and see if that helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance by calling 8004STRAND

If you are comfortable with it, open the tile and check the “rubber band” it may have broken. If it has, go to your local hardware store and in the plumbing section, you will find a good selection of O rings. One of them will fit.
As for the page buttons, I am with Bobby.

So, how do I open it up. I tried unscrewing what looked like obvious screws on the front panel, but I'm gathering that those must be screw covers, because they just kept spinning...

So, how do I open it up. I tried unscrewing what looked like obvious screws on the front panel, but I'm gathering that those must be screw covers, because they just kept spinning...

The screws and insert are plastic, so if they have ever been forced, then the threads tend to slip. Once this has happened, it takes some precision work to get them loose without destroying them. I have had to do this before, so what I usually do is take a jewelers flat head screwdriver and wedge it between the tapered screw head and the insert. It may look like one piece, but it is not. Then gently pry it up while turning a screwdriver. You are fighting yourself because you are lifting up on the screw while you are pushing down on the screwdriver to turn the screw, but there is a balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back