Strand CD80 Dimmers

Hello! I have acquired some older Strand CD80 Dimmer Packs, each with 12 Channels each. I would like to configure them to run off single-phase 120V outlets. Is it possible to have multiple single phase 20amp feeds so I can run more than a few lights?

How do I go about wiring? (Need to know what to tell/explain to an electrician)

Thanks!

It's been a while since I've opened one of mine up, they can be setup to run on one, two, or three phases. I'm not sure that they can be wired to run off of multiple 20 amp circuits though. I think that even if it is possible it will be the most expensive option since there will be a lot of parts and labor involved. If they are going to stay in one location it would be much cheaper to have an electrician tie them directly into the breaker panel. If your going to be moving them a lot I would just sell them and buy shoebox dimmers that are designed to run off of single 20 amp circuits. Just the weight of those packs is going to leave you tired of moving them around pretty quickly.

I would like to configure them to run off single-phase 120V outlets. Is it possible to have multiple single phase 20amp feeds so I can run more than a few lights?

How do I go about wiring? (Need to know what to tell/explain to an electrician)

Thanks!
If by multiple feeds, you mean three and exactly three, no more no less, then yes, the pack could be fed with three 20A circuits, giving 60A total for the pack, or 5A (600W) per dimmer. Tell your electrician three 20A hots, one neutral sized for 60A, and one equipment ground. The hots can be on the same or different phases.

For full capacity, the pack is fed with 80A 120/208Y 3Ø (HHHNG) or 120A 120/240V 1Ø (HHNG) service. One must open the pack and move a jumper on a terminal block to convert the pack from three- to single-phase.
CD80pack_phase.jpg

From page 15 of the attached manual. I don't know which of the three iterations the pack you have: original, AE, or SV, but I believe all three were the same in this regard.

Attachments

• CD80_DigitalPack_Manual_42.pdf
    552.5 KB · Views: 324
Disregard (almost) all that I said above!

After reading @techieman33 's response, posted while I was typing, I realize I missed a major part of your criteria:
... I would like to configure them to run off single-phase 120V outlets. ...
Outlets plural? No. One outlet, with either five or four conductors, per pack.

As he said, if faced with multiple 120V 20A outlets, the shoebox dimmer is by far the best (and often the only) way to go.

The problem is you only have one neutral, therefore, you could end up back-feeding a lot more than 20 amps to the outlet who's neutral has the lowest resistance. Also, separate outlets are sometimes fed from separate panels. You could end up bridging the panels through your equipment, which could be very dangerous if there was a neutral fault somewhere.

The only pack I've ever seen which delivers separate neutrals back to the power strip was the old (1970-80) vintage EDI SCRimmer pack. (Can you call something that weighs well over 120 pound a "pack"?) In that case (for historical note only) you could actually divide the pack on six 20 amp circuits while maintaining complete electrical isolation (including neutrals) between all six circuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back