Control/Dimming Strand Light Palette Classic Questions

Hi!
The building where I work (new university arts center) has been outfitted with Strand Light Palette Classics in all the performance spaces.
We've run into some general questions and problems using them, haven't been able to find any helpful information in the manual, instructional videos, or online, and I was wondering if you might be able to help.

1. There are only 12 physical sub masters, though 48 "looks" per submaster page. Is there a way to have the physical submasters control looks other than 1-12 of that page? So far, we've only found it possible to use the bump buttons around them to flash those looks. It would make running shows on the fly using them much easier.
2. Is there an easy shortcut to switching submaster pages rather than having to click in the upper left corner of the screen?
3. What do the up/down arrow buttons to the left of all the submasters do? They aren't referenced in the manual, but it would be fantastic if they were mapable to any of the above two functions. As far as we can tell, hitting them has no effect on anything.
4. Is there an easier way to block cues than to have to right click the individual cue and say "block cue lists?"
5. Why in the world is a chase called a "Square Wave Wrap?" Is there a way to make a more complex step-based chase short of creating/running a separate cuelist?

Any help would be fantastic! :)

Thanks a ton,
David Goodman-Edberg

1.800.4.STRAND

Hasn't changed in a long time.

(Wouldn't be Logan Center would it? Hav the dimmers dried out from the rain yet?)

Hi!
The building where I work (new university arts center) has been outfitted with Strand Light Palette Classics in all the performance spaces.
We've run into some general questions and problems using them, haven't been able to find any helpful information in the manual, instructional videos, or online, and I was wondering if you might be able to help.

1. There are only 12 physical sub masters, though 48 "looks" per submaster page. Is there a way to have the physical submasters control looks other than 1-12 of that page? So far, we've only found it possible to use the bump buttons around them to flash those looks. It would make running shows on the fly using them much easier.
2. Is there an easy shortcut to switching submaster pages rather than having to click in the upper left corner of the screen?
3. What do the up/down arrow buttons to the left of all the submasters do? They aren't referenced in the manual, but it would be fantastic if they were mapable to any of the above two functions. As far as we can tell, hitting them has no effect on anything.
4. Is there an easier way to block cues than to have to right click the individual cue and say "block cue lists?"
5. Why in the world is a chase called a "Square Wave Wrap?" Is there a way to make a more complex step-based chase short of creating/running a separate cuelist?

Any help would be fantastic! :)

Thanks a ton,
David Goodman-Edberg

My first recommendation would be to call tech support or myself. I manage this product line and can likely help here. Tech support 800.4.STRAND. I can be reached at [email protected].

Question 1, 2 and 3. Since different console hardware versions (there are several) have different hardware layouts there are usually multiple solutions to any programming task. The hardware does have limits (if you are on a LP Classic you have 12 multifunction faders. By default these are playbacks and the buttons on the left side will "Page" the playback pages if you have multiple cuelists pages set up. If you have these multifunction faders set to be "Looks on Playbacks" (turned on/off in Hardware Setup>AB/CD>checkbox for Looks on Playbacks) then they will be active for your first 12 submasters. We like to think of the hardware as the Submasters and the content to be Looks. There is no limit to how many Looks can be stored on a Submaster Page or Look Page. There is also no limit on how many Look Pages you can have. If you want your Submasters to be 1 - 12, that's the default. If you want them to be assigned to 13-24, just type LOOK in the command line and softkeys will allow this to happen. S11-Sub Page -> and S12-Sub Page <-. This is also where you can change pages using command line. Again type LOOK in the command line and M1-Sub Page 1, M2-Sub Page 2 and so on. If these are not automatically populated, press S10-Sub Page to see what Sub Pages you have in your current showfile.

Block Cues - there are many commands that are available with a graphical solution (of which you have found) and a command line solution. Once you press the CUE button, all of the softkeys change to show you commands that apply to cues. You can see that S6 is Unblock. I use this frequently to clean up redundant values in cues and it's very quick. Should I want to Block a cue, notice there is a plus key in the corner of the Unblock soft key. This means that you have a "Shifted" version of that key. Press, Shift and you'll see that S6 changes to be Block. So now that you know, just press CUE SHIFT + S6 and that will block the current cue.

Effects. At first I was confused by this then frustrated because when I say it I sound like Porky Pig. However there is method to the madness. If you think about looking at this from a mathematical perspective (or looking at it on a scope) a square wave means that the level goes straight from 0 to Full (represented by a line going straight up on a graph - representing a 0 count), then it stays at full for a period of time (represented by a straight line going to the right on a graph - representing time), then the level goes immediately to 0 (represented by a line on a graph going straight down) then it moves to the next channel (represented by a line on a graph going to the right), and repeats for the quantity of channels that are selected. Say 1 through 10. 1 ON, TIME, 1 OFF, TIME, 2 ON, TIME, 2 OFF, TIME and so on... Once it finishes with channel 10, it "wraps" around to repeat the process until the channels are given a different instruction.

There are 3 different ways to do effects with the PaletteOS software. 1. The effects engine. This is likely the quickest and most powerful. Grab the desired channels, set them at the desired levels, apply the effect engine. Record the cue or sub. That's very simple but basically that's it. The second way is to go old school and do a separate cue list, record your steps as cues. Set your times and follows, then go back to the main cue list and in the cue that you want to trigger the effect, create a macro that triggers the effect cue list. The third way, is to create the separate cue list with the steps that you need as cues. But don't worry about any of the follows. Now go back to the main cue list, select the channels and go into the effects engine and select CUE LIST CHASE. You can then select the cue list from soft keys. This is called the Hybrid effect method because it combines the effects engine with a cue list for the step content.

One of the advantages of using the effects engine, is when you GOTO a cue, it will always have the correct effects running. Say you have an effect that starts in Cue 5 and the effect continues running until Cue 10. If you are in Cue 15 and go back to Cue 8, even though there is no instruction in cue 8 to start a cue, since the effect is actually stored IN Cue 5 (not just a trigger to another cue list), it will be running for you automatically. None of this has to be "managed".

That's a VERY simple definition of this. There are several Palette Tips and Tricks Bulletins on our website and 3 of them go into detail about Effects.

www.strandlighting.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/PALETTE_TIPS_AND_TRICKS_LIBRARY.ZIP

There is a lot of power here if you know how to unlock it. Email me and I'll be happy to get you more training.

Bobby Harrell

Thanks a ton, Bobby!

This clears up a ton of stuff!
It's fantastic that those buttons are mapable to different sets of looks/sub pages. We're definitely going to set that up.
Shift-S6! Great!
The hybrid effect mode is fantastic. We didn't realize that was possible. Ohkay—Square Wave Wrap makes sense now!

We are almost definitely in need of more training. We can see that it's a very powerful board, but none of us know how to use that power very well/quickly. Training would save us a ton of time.
I'll talk to my boss.

P.S. Yes, Logan Arts Center. Beautiful building, though some very problematic (for tech) design choices in the performance spaces, and much too leaky..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back