Strand MX vs ETC SmartFade

TheDonkey

So our facility currently has a Strand MX that we use for all our shows, but due to a recent dimmer-failing, we've been looking for a new system, and both the local production companies are offering to get us an ETC SmartFade 2496.

Being the enterprising(wrong word?) student I am, I'm all for the upgrade, I mean, the board can light up its LED's in a plethora of pretty colours, but the question comes up of do we really need it?

The main argument for it seems that because we have lots of people using the space, the new board can password lock out all the recording features so nobody can mess anything up.

But other than that, the two seem almost identical in "Usable features", sure the SF has more cues, but we've yet to max out our MX, and so on.

There's nothing really wrong with the MX, it seems to work relatively well for our needs, and has yet to break down, but looking for some third party input.

As far as budget, we can afford the SmartFade reasonably within our current upgrade budget, and we've somewhat looked at other consoles, but our budget is nowhere near enough to get ML's(not even rent). And our power supply constrains us from getting too many more channels (Looks like we're going with 24, we don't have enough distro for 48 dimmers, and apparently semi-permanently installing SOCA is illegal.)

Here's the tech/feature sheets for both for comparison,

StrandMX

SmartFade

Honestly, if your school has the money and they are planning on spending it anyway, unless you have a better suggestion on what they should be spending it on than sit back and enjoy the pretty colors. That said, if you need some new fixtures or some other item that you think the money would be better spent on than there probably isn't a huge reason for the upgrade.

One point I am confused about. If it is the dimmers failing - why are you replacing your console? Are you proposing to replace dimmers and console and want to keep the same manufacturer?

John

One point I am confused about. If it is the dimmers failing - why are you replacing your console? Are you proposing to replace dimmers and console and want to keep the same manufacturer?

John

Well the initial idea was to futureproof, for when we get out theatre rebuilt(within 10 years it seems), we were going to get more dimmers, and a newer console. The idea of more dimmers fell through, but the new console stuck.

What I'm asking though, is from a feature perspective, IS there anything the SmartFade has that the MX doesn't? (Other than pretty colours :rolleyes:)

Several things..

But it depends upon which SmartFade you are talking about. Which model are you looking at?

Supportability.

The MX is getting quite long in the tooth and if you have a major problem, I can put you in touch with one of three people that could fix it...maybe.

SmartFade is going to be around for awhile.

Besides, many districts have a 'use it or lose it' attitude toward this kind of spending....so get as much console as you can for what money you have. Remember, if this upgrade happens in the next 10 years someone may suggest that the console is 'only 10 years old' and doesn't need upgrading.

Sure would hate to have an inadequate console after an upgrade.

If you do choose to replace the MX, you might consider the ETC Element instead of SmartFade. The Element may not be a great choice if you frequently used moving lights, but that doesn't sound likely with your limited budget. The advantage to the Element, in my opinion, is that it exposes your operators to the ETC Eos / Ion / Element software and syntax. SmartFade uses a completely different syntax and logic that bears little resemblance to the rest of the ETC family, whereas Element provides a better introduction to the Ion / Eos desks that students may encounter when they leave your venue.

My drama studio presently uses an MX for class use. It's about 8 years old now, and it's faders are beginning to fail. I brought it in two years ago to get a bunch replaced and it was about $400. Now I'm ready to bring it in again. If you want a single reason to replace it, it would be because electronics have a shelf life. Especially if used by lots of people. And I agree with Michael -- go with the Element if your budget allows.

I was just about to recommend holding on to the MX over buying a Smartfade because of how poorly the Smartfade handles a theatre stack.

But then I read the MX manual to make sure I wasn't fooling myself, and it turns out I was; I was thinking the MX was much more like the GSX, a much better memory board than the MX is.

I suppose I've been spoiled by how well suited most boards of the last 20 years are to memory work -- Express and Expression, Obsession, LP/90, even LB/M -- having a straightforward method of viewing and altering what's in memory, as well as having Go buttons.

So I can't really recommend holding on to the MX, but I would suggest looking into a better theatre board than the Smartfade or the MX. Element comes to mind as a good candidate.

Five years ago I would have said "get an Express/125 if you want memory-only, or an Express/2448 if you want the option of two-preset as well". In fact, I'd still say that today; the only catch of course is that the Expression family is a couple of years dead now.

As I understand it, the world is shifting slowly to LP syntax, what with the death of Expression (and Expression syntax), and the Eos and Congo families being LP syntax (I think). If that's indeed the case, there's a lot to be said for buying a board that uses LP syntax, because that's probably going to be king before very long at all.

Since the new software update and using the smartfade with smartsoft running on a pc, the theatre stack became very very easy to use.

We use a Smartfade 24/96 in a similar venue, where due to power restrictions we only have 24 dimmers for conventionals (2x Smartpack 12x10A ND 3P400+N+E on harting in touring flightcase), the large amount of deskfaders/deskchannels makes it easy to use for instance a lower row as submasters for recorde memories, but the best way to use it is to get the free smartsoft, and run the show from the stack. It's the most feature rich little HTP memory board on the market. For its price, only the Zero88 Jester comes close.

A true disadvantage is that it's HTP, non-tracking, so you will never learn LTP or tracking style operation. However, are the operators going to need/understand tracking?

If you realy want you can always use your smartfade as an input trigger for a GrandMA node on pc pro, so you can use the free GrandMA on pc connected to an input/output node for dmx distributions and dmx trigger input from the smartfade. This method gives you a GrandMA on pc with real faders... and hence LTP and tracking operation trough GrandMA.

But, for the price of a Smartfade 24/96 and a GrandMA on pc pro node, you probably can purchase a basic ETC Element?

grts.

I've used a Strand MX24 at school back in grade 9, it was a ok board. It depends what you prefer in the means of programmability. The MX was a 2-scene preset console with programmable submasters, it has no cue stack (not at least from what I remember). Also it lacks the integration with computers, you could get an additional D54 serial cable to connect it into an IBM compatible computer and run a dos based program that would indicate DMX info, channel levels, and scene information. The SmartFade is a more modern board than the MX, it has full integration with PC and Mac, and is fully programmable, features cue stacks and submasters. But if its your dimmers which are failing, check your addressing, cables/connectors, and check if your dimmers are ok. The MX features some level of diagnostic features, but they are not as in depth as some of the larger consoles. A Strand 200 may also work for you, if you only need preset and submasters, and no stack. For about $200 dollars exta you can get a display adapter for the 200 which will allow you to hookup any VGA compatible monitor into it. Before you change your console, check your dimmers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back