Loudspeakers Sub suggestions, and thoughts on the direction I should take.

NickVon

First what I think is an easy question.

I have one of these Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : PRO 8HEx Hypercardioid Dynamic Headworn Microphone teriminated with a standard male XLR. will this (Shure WA310), Shure WA310 Spare XLR Output Cable | Full Compass allow me to connect it to a SHURE SLX4 transmitter?

Now the more in-depth question.

As of right now i have 4 Yamaha BR series speakers flown at FoH. the space is a 300 seat converted churched wide, and shallow with vaulted 35ft ceilings. (speakers are flown from grid about at about 18ft.) I'm looking for a solution to add some punch to playback, and a fuller range for theatrical sound effects. We are a mutli-use Art Center. Small to large scale musicals with 5-14 piece orchestras for accompaniment and 14 - 35 performers. Large showcase bands, Student events including playback music for fashion shows. Video and Created Audio playback from our Creative Arts and Technology department on campus, etc.

Currently out of our DBX Drive rack, we have the highs and mids fed to the FoH Yamahas. The Lows are currently feeding an onstage amp rack. The amp is powering 2 JBL TR series The are just getting the "low" feed out of the DBX unit. Overall this a jury-rigg just to get some more fullness to audio in the theater.

I'm looking for a dedicated Sub for the space. I've spoken with a few people including a installer and rental house i have good dealings (though they tend to spend on the fancier more premium price point equipment, which is usually not in my budget) with some recommendations where made. One suggestion was EAW dual 15". From reading up this seems to be a better solutions then a Single 18". a Dual 18" being even better but requiring more powerful amp power then I may have available, in addition to being cost prohibitive. I've read that an 18" would provide a fuller range and better rumble for say a thunder effect, but that dual 15's would provide a punchy audio for "pop and club" music type play back? Thoughts to confirm this?

I'd like to spend under 600$ though i'll entertain anything below 900$ if the first price point is unreasonable :). Have unused amps so i think looking for a powered sub is not necessary though again, i'll entertain thoughts if the current amps i have would be impractical.

Current Equipment, and space
Vualted 35’ ceiling
300 seats (filling on average 200)
Converted Church

Amps: (2) Crest FA901
(1) Yamaha P2150

Current “lowend”
(2) JBL TR15 (currently either the horns are bad or the crossovers are fried as I reacquired them after another department abused them. Still need to get that looked into as if I can managed some dedicated subs, I’d like to have these two full range speakers working)

Current installed PA:
Yamaha BR 12 or 10’s don’t’ recall without checking. (working well)

Maybe we should start with how your existing mains are flown since I am pretty sure the Yamaha BR series speakers are intended to be ground stacked or pole mounted and have no flying provisions. If they are not enclosed in some type of flying 'cage' then addressing this could be a more critical priority than adding a subwoofer.

You haven't noted the room dimensions, the seating and stage configuration or where the speakers are located in plan but the Yamaha BR10 and BR12 are nominal 90x40 boxes, so I am curious about the arrangement of the four mains and the possible effect on the 'punch' you mentioned wanting. I assume that you are running each Yamaha main off one FA901 amp channel and the P2150 is what you are currently using for the two JBL TR15 speakers. What frequency are you currently crossing over the subs to the mains?

On the subs, there is much more to a subwoofer design than just the quantity and size of the drivers and breaking it down into single 15" versus dual 15", single 18" or dual 18" boxes overlooks all of those other factors. The general use provides some guidance as does the output capability of the mains. The FR250z, SB250z, SB600z and SB625z all seem outside your budget, so do you know what EAW sub was being recommended? Where were you thinking of locating the subwoofer?

haven't forgotten, been very busy the last several days, i'll respond to your points when i get a chance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back