Vintage Lighting Super Early Fresnel?

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
I don't normally start threads about vintage lights on eBay, but this one is rather interesting. It's a shame ship has retired.
RARE VINTAGE OTTO K. OLESEN HOLLYWOOD MOVIE STAGE STUDIO MOVIE SET LIGHT | eBay

A box spot with a square Fresnel lens. Wild.

Maybe not as old as we think. (Pressed aluminum reflector, med prefocus base) Kind of reminds me of stuff produced in the 60's and 70's. Square is really unusual tho! Haven't run into anything like that.

I have seen square fresnel lenses before in commercial building recessed lights.
The seller states that it has a 750 watt lamp, BUT the label states 4.6 amps-----is that like a(n) FEL in a 360Q?
In the late 60's, early 70's I used to buy from a mail order lighting supply company called Olesen in Hollywood, wonder if it is the same company

Same company, and still around (though I think under new ownership) today. From OLESEN - Theatrical Equiptment and Supply Since 1906 :

Olesen Lighting has been providing top-quality services for the entertainment industry for over 100 years, in feature film, Broadway theatrical rentals and special event production. We supply rigging equipment, trussing, chain hoists and portable staging, along with lighting dimming and control equipment for your every need.

We offer a full inventory of highly sought after effects and moving light technology used on motion picture sets across the country.

Thanks Derek, same logo so I think same company.
As far as the light, too bad no yoke.
Otto may have had a "thing" for square things:
0090.jpg
A square olivette, have never seen one of those, only the rectangular ones.
So how about an early moving light or blinders:
0091.jpg
0092.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Derek, same logo so I think same company.
As far as the light, too bad no yoke.
Otto may have had a "thing" for square things:
View attachment 7210
A square olivette, have never seen one of those, only the rectangular ones.
So how about an early moving light or blinders:
View attachment 7211
View attachment 7212

I think the film people would call those Broads, and there are similar examples of those from Mole. Really, the Olivette is just a very specific type of Broad.

... Otto may have had a "thing" for square things: ...
Easier to build something square rather than circular. The cost of extra material is offset by simplicity of manufacture.

Interesting that the Fresnel lens under discussion is square but goes in a circular aperture.

Don't forget the prefocus base could be new. If they had the unit in use long enough they would have found it easier to source MPF base lamps.

But those obviously weren't designed for use on stage. I'm just saying

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back