Super Trouper 1 Parallels and Posting Old Catalogues to CB

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
One of our accounts has 2Kw Xenon Super Trouper version 1, just finished giving the yearly service call, and they are in for the most part in great shape given their age and last year’s total tear down. Got asked about what’s comparable to them because they want two more used spots to supplement. Beyond the obvious, get two more of the same... don’t know and ask our two followspot experienced expert users. I just buy lamps and fix them by default. Here is the fixture they are using and the lamp specifications - not that it’s much of use in comparing fixture to fixture.
Than I remembered I got in this entire file drawer full of catalogues this week... wonder if it’s in the Strong folder as the Syncrolite/Strong website is useless for stating fixture data, but does list the light at least in providing no specifications. Yep, there it was the catalogue, lets start there on output for comparing it to other lights. An hour later, I remembered to verify if the lamp we were using was the same in the specification. Too bad, it was a 700w xenon lamp in the photometrics chart. (Really old catalogue, but they are at least still using one of the same 1963 ballasts in the catalogue, so that was at least somewhat helpful for dating it.) Searched for a Super Trouper catalogue from when the fixture was made or converted to 2Kw from my own collection of catalogues, but back than in the 90's when I started collecting catalogues I was more a carpenter and rigger thus had no interest in either moving lights or followspots.
In the end, the theater decided that next year they are going to replace the followspots, and now a moot point in what’s comperable. Don’t know what they will be doing with the old ones, but we noted in the service call that the reflectors were starting to have some oxidation and will need replacement at some point. Otherwise other than the dowser cracks needing to be watched, the long throw spots are in really good shape.
But now comes up the question as a for instance the Super Trouper I from about 1963, I now have its catalogue amongst a bunch of catalogues. About 1/3 of the catalogues are from obsolete vendors and safe to put on this website. Another 1/3 are from vendors like Grand Stage (now I see is Grand/Chicago Spotlight combined,) that attribute gear they are resaling in catalogues to their own making of them in the catalogue for brand or part number. Though given the age I will be re-checking those catalogues for the fluted Leko or Fresnel version if listed, given a personal account from an old TD about him visiting the Grand Stage factory as it was were the lights were made origionally. Otherwise catalogues from like Mole Richardson which is still actively in business and might mind a posing of their catalogues on this website. Final 1/3 is mostly price lists, makup and other stuff that isn’t of much use. I will give a second study to what’s collected as even a makeup catalogue might be of use for a historical sense if it gets into the tech part of it.
I will than give the catalogues to the receptionists to make into PDF format that I can thumb drive to Derek. He than can post them. But a question about posting the old catalogues from vendors still in business. I know we cannot post them without permission, but should I ask to post or let them post on their own their older catalogues which is the proper place for such things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back