Switch Puzzle

Case one: using on-board powered speakers. The speakers must be powered up but also the mixer, etc need power.
Case two: using the amps and ceiling mounted speakers. The amps must be powered up but that same mixer, etc used in case one need power.

I guess in the final analysis, when you make something completely idiot proof, nature develops a better class of idiot...
On our rack we have 2 separate key switches depending on what input/output combinations are desired. (One is just 2 mics to the overheads - no mixer) but someone opened up the back and unplugged the mixer from the sequencer and put it in the wall.

That's a very accurate theory. I have a rack mounted "idiot proof" sound system in another space. Just last night I had a call from a renter who had plugged the power cord of her iPad into into the wall outlet next to it and was confused as to why the sound wasn't getting to the system. "It's plugged in" The very simple instructions with photos attached to the wall, "didn't make any sense". It's a good thing the special ones are few and far between. Most people are smart enough to figure it out and realize tampering with something they don't understand is probably a bad idea. It's interesting work trying to make any kind of system that is made up of multiple components function like an off the shelf consumer level all in one device.

That's a very accurate theory. I have a rack mounted "idiot proof" sound system in another space. Just last night I had a call from a renter who had plugged the power cord of her iPad into into the wall outlet next to it and was confused as to why the sound wasn't getting to the system. "It's plugged in" The very simple instructions with photos attached to the wall, "didn't make any sense". It's a good thing the special ones are few and far between. Most people are smart enough to figure it out and realize tampering with something they don't understand is probably a bad idea. It's interesting work trying to make any kind of system that is made up of multiple components function like an off the shelf consumer level all in one device.
Well, at least it insures there will always be some job security for the professional Soundman/woman to come and straighten things out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back