Automated Fixtures Technobeam Bulb Focus

spacecraft

I purchased two Technobeam i's used. The bulbs were at the end of their lives so I replaced them. The factory bulb for the Technobeam is a Philips MSD 250/2 with 6500 K. I could not find the factory bulb, so i used Philips MSD 250 with 6500k. I found the MSD 250/2 but it was 8500K. Too cold for my tastes. The only problem is now there is a massive hot spot even causing a gradient in color temperature around the edges. The Technobeam has a left/right, up/down bulb adjustment but no depth adjustment. Was the MSD 250/2 a prefocused bulb, which the MSD 250 lacks? In order to resolve the hotspot, must I fiddle more with the current bulb adjustment, deal with 8500 K and get the MSD 250/2 or is there another way? Thank you

The Factory recommended lamp is a Phillips MSD250/2 This lamp has a color temperature of 8500k
That being said, I don't know why a MSD250 would have a different hot spot than the /2 version.

There is always a small hotspot in a Technobeam, especially since the lamp adjustment mech kinda sucks on those.

If I recall correctly, all positions on a Techno color wheel can be loaded with color, including open.
To fix the problem, I might try using the Recommended MSD250/2, but purchase an extra CTO filter for the color wheel, and add it in the open position.

It is also possible you just have a bad example of the MSD250, not many fixtures use it, so it could be old stock, or a gray market lamp.
I have had bad luck with phillips lamps manufactured for the Chinese marked, but sold as US lamps.

Good Luck

Good Morning

The /2 indicates an adjustment in the chemical cocktail in the lamp.
The adjustment eliminates the red edge of the MSD 250 which was the first lamp spec'd for the 250 line.
Most supplies should carry the MSD 250/2 for the TECHNO.
It’s the same lamp that goes in the Studio 250, MAC 250 …..

Last edited:
something else to be considered is the lenses and reflector. Make sure everything is clean and aligned properly. And the 250/2 gives a brighter and "whiter" light that is supposed to last longer than the 250's. The temperatures are also different, which can have an effect on said reflectors and lenses from one fixture to another. Sticking with the preferred lamp will keep your fixtures lasting longer with less maintenance required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back