Temporary Aging Technique

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
So for my student company show with many a borrowed set piece I'm trying to find a solution to temporarily age new 2 chairs and a table (think ikea quality).

The crux of the issue being that its a bunch of dancers and I don't want their sweat to be able to pull anything off onto the costumes ect.

Ideas?

Random idea, what about some sort of peel-and-stick veneer? Never used it personally, but maybe you can find something that looks close to you want and then tone it from there. Likely very tedious to apply, but if you got more time than money....otherwise I'd say just buy new chairs.

I've not used them, but there are some paint-on products that create a peel-able temporary coating:

Peelable Protective Coatings and Paints
Liquid Masking Floor protection, Floor Peelable coating, Floor protection For Paint Booths

Brilliant, wouldn't have thought of such a thing. Down to the cut up and even curled edges of shelf liner paper stuck to the chair in stuff that will texture and even peel at the edges if you make or so or say before sticking, treat the edges with some heat so the curl.

To supplement this, perhaps some hairspray or something similar that will de-gloss yet should as with the adhesive back residue, say come clean with a good coat of say English oil or Murphy's Oil soap. A good oil cleaning of anything stuck to or sprayed onto the chair should work well to remove it - even WD-40.

As another concept that would need a good play test, cover the wood in above oil, than something in latex paint applied shouldn't stick well to it. Believe there is some latex spray paints on the market now, otherwise a paint roller applicaton shouldn't stick in thickness of coat over a base of oil.

On the other hand... Sorry but I agree in the risk - you broke it, you bought it. Probably better not to do this, or at least get approved of what you might attempt to do in sample and if it don't work, approval for what you do in lending you it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back