The Dream Board

Dream board:

1) Get USB port behind my ear.

2) Develop USB dongle that plugs into USB port behind ear and into a small box that controls all the lights and dimmers.

3) Push play on the Trance playlist on the iPod and see what happens.

If anyone has seen the movie Minority Report, I vote for a console that works like that computer. You don't even have to touch it. How cool would that be? It would truly be "painting with light".

I believe the new video hog wings support multitouch. With hog supporting vista, and vista has lots of voice recongnization built in, i'm sure you could easily have a voice activated console. It may take some tweaking, but when i have some time i'll stick the idea into highends head. Also being able to open up a wig display of the rig and minuplate it with your hands using multi touch technolgy would make working in 3D space much easier. I was playing with a lighting console (i want to say it was a prototype) that supported multitouch. For the life of me i cannot remember what the console was.

I'd have to say a fully upgradable board with a GUI designed to be a mix between a suped up iphone interface mixed with the configurability of Windows XP
Anyone have a bridge for me to jump off of?

Any board, as long as it has a built in mountian dew, or other highly caffineted beverage dispenser on it

i'm sure you could easily have a voice activated console.

Speech recognization might be a bit of a problem. I'm picturing someone sticking their head in the booth and saying:
"Are you guys ALL UP for some coffee?"

On a more serious note, in the case of concerts, noise rejection would be a big problem.

It's nice and all, but there still is no tactile feedback from that virtual button on a touch screen....

They are already working on that in the computer world! Was reading an article awhile back about the use of touch screens for restaurants needing tactical feedback and that a company was developing a system that sent a vibration through the panel as any change was made. Nothing you could hear, but you would feel it in your fingertip as the change was made.

I'm beginning to think that I'll have to get used to it.
People that have influence tell me it's the future.

ETC did take a look at that and disagreed. That's why the EOS has the button overlays. It allows the configurability of the touchscreen with the tactile feedback of a button. It's actually a pretty interesting solution to the problem...

They are already working on that in the computer world! Was reading an article awhile back about the use of touch screens for restaurants needing tactical feedback and that a company was developing a system that sent a vibration through the panel as any change was made. Nothing you could hear, but you would feel it in your fingertip as the change was made.

Leave that to SerraAva and his Glock.

The more versitile you make a board the more you risk crashes and extra processing power is needed. The Hog III you can move anything around where you want it, same with the hog II, just not quite a flexable as the hog III.

There is actually a way to "crash proof" a board, although nobody bothers to use it. It is called the "odd man out" architecture. Often used in mission critical applications (which I think would include a rock concert with 30,000 in attendance, but that's just me), basically you run three parallel processors running the same software, and all of your output interfaces look for either the three to agree, or the best of three if one goes down. It's just a matter of using exclusive "and" gates on the output. Hey, since this is a "dream board", lets give it that feature!

As far as being content with what products are already out there, just remember, 10 years from now current boards are going to look as out of date as boards that are 10 years old now! It is always interesting to explore what may be ahead, and sometime these thoughts actually help shape the future!

Well, layout of the board notwithstanding, it needs a large touchscreen that can be used as a tablet (so it'd have to be horizontal/flat, or maybe on a bit of an incline). You can set up a camera (while we're dreaming, it can be at any angle, any orientation), live video feed to the console. You can then program in the stage dimensions based off that camera feed to your console (in x, y, z dimensions of course). Now, if you want to follow a talent/actor around the stage, its as easy as using a stylus (or finger!) to follow the image on your touchscreen. Can do it with any moving light!

Would make programming easier too.

So we start with a touch screen like Alex showed us. Then we make it a hologram like in Minority Report (hated the film loved the computer). This hologram is suspended in the air in front of us and the scale is adjusted so that we are looking at the stage in real size. Then we use the screen to mix colours which immediately happens on stage.

Is Fred Bentham still alive he would love this idea. Not to mention Craig and Appia.

You can set up a camera (while we're dreaming, it can be at any angle, any orientation), live video feed to the console.

Interesting thing about the idea of a video feed. When you are a couple of hundred feet from the stage, catching visual cues on a fast moving rock show can be a problem. TO make matters worse, there is a sound delay. This used to drive me nuts! Video feed would be a good idea.

As for holograms, not much available "off the shelf" at the current time, so that might have to wait ;)

ugh that sounds like more work to opreate, its hard enough just to press go

You could actually use four flat touchscreen all-in-one's like this http://www.annso.com/htm/Panel_Computing/ippc-1575.htm so the board would have four quadrants. two would be level and the rear two would be on an adjustable angled back. The board would work like a mini-network, containing the 4 integrated display/input systems, a sub-system that operated as a file server, and a core processor running a lower level language that actually would take care of interpreting your input into something the DMX world would understand (along with calculating and profile support.) This way, if one of the windows subsystems went down, you could simply page the missing area up on one of the other monitor faces. (Each would have all four quadrants on it's taskbar)

You could probably do away with the subsystem hard drives and equip each with a boot-rom that would bring the OS up from the integrated file server.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back