Vintage Lighting The first LED instrument on the market?

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
Now we all know who made the first ERS and the first automated moving light, but I realized, I DON'T know who both made, marketed and sold the first RGB LED fixture that was adopted for use on stage, as well as who made the first fixture INTENDED for stage use. I want to say it was Color Kinetics, but I'm not positive on that.

Last edited:
the first RGB LED fixture deemed "acceptable" for use on stage.
I would say that is a very subjective criteria as even now people debate what is "acceptable" for the stage. I don't think you are really going to get an answer to a question like that. The first LEDs to be used on stage were almost certainly not designed for the stage, but more likely for the industrial/commercial lighting market. Perhaps if you left "acceptable" out and just asked "what RGB fixture was first designed and marketed for the theatrical lighting market?"

Wasn't the ColorBlast originally designed for architectural lighting? That's CK's bread and butter, isn't it?

Wasn't the ColorBlast originally designed for architectural lighting?

I think so... They're everywhere...
Toronto's CN Tower is full of 'em, and I think the light pillars outside the LAX Airport are Blast's as well...

BUT

They work wonders inside a light box :grin:

What about the first PC or PAR? I know who invented the fresnel, but does anyone know who first started making them specifically for stage?

Wasn't the ColorBlast originally designed for architectural lighting? That's CK's bread and butter, isn't it?

The ColorBlast was definitely designed originally for the architectural market. Once it got picket up by the entertainment market they released the ColorBlast TR to specifically cater to entertainment users although the CB 12 is still widely used in this application.

I think that the Color Kinetics C-series was one of the first lines of LED fixtures to be adopted for stage (most notably the C200).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back