The Great Outside Event Design Debate...

Chris Chapman

We'll use our favorite gig, a Dance Recital as an example. The Dance Company is not part of your School District/Theatre Company but rent the performance space for their annual Dance Recital. You maintain a standard hang for your space, with refocus, regel, and some rehang as necessary. But this client needs specific needs that are outside of your normal hang.

Who is responsible for the design and programming of that show? If the recital has design requirements beyond your normal hang, how is that billed to the client?

Why for, you ask?

My admin is starting to rethink my extra duty pay. They are starting to think that all of that extra design work, which they know nothing about, should be included in the rental of the facility, and is part of "my job."

Where does the line live for you? District/In House related designs (scenic/lighting/sound) part of the gig, and outside clients billable, or is it all "part of the job?" For me, I'm credited as an Auditorium Manager/Technical Director.

I can see both sides of it, but I side with you. The facility rental should be so that it's coming "as is", the rate in the rent should be so that they're paying for the facility with its house rig which would include what is normal with your gear. If they're looking for something in addition to that, they should be paying for that, be it additional gear, additional hands, additional programming time. Your job as it typically applies is for running the show with the existing house setup and the traditional amount of prep time for your rig. If there's additional elements that require you going above/beyond your typical duties, you should be getting compensated for that, and the client should be expected to pay for that if they require additional elements than what is typically given with the house. If admin thinks that this should be part of the house nut and they don't want to pass the cost off to the client, they still need to be compensating you for your extra time. Just my 2 cents...

For us everything is based on how long it takes to meet any requirements or requests they have. If I have to change gels on a majority of our system, because they want to use a pink and blue general, I get paid for it. If I want to add extra fixtures because I think their drop looks ugly when just lit with our wash, then I don't get paid, but they are happy...and plan on coming back next year, even though our sister (and rival) school is closer to them.

In my venues, we charge the flat rate for the space rental. (rates depend on non-for-profit, outside region, holidays, etc). The labor is added onto that as needed. Performances require more labor (rail, lobby, lights, sound), where a basic rehearsal might just need someone to open the doors. The design aspect factors into the hourly rate. If they want lots of moving lights and changing gel and adding specials, then it costs extra labor to set it all up, and to change it all back after the performances. All labor is hourly, so they are welcome to ask for as many lighting designs they want (within reason), as long as they can pay for the hourly time to setup. In this case the lighting designer is paid "extra" for their design, but it's basically just longer hours. They can save money by using the house plot and basic LEDs and cyc lights.

If you rent out something, you should specify WHAT it is you're renting in writing. If they were supposed to get a tech (or three, or 50) then it should be specified how many, what hours, what rate, and what they would be charged for overtime. So if none of that is specified, you're BOTH at fault. You should probably sit down with them BEFORE the event, and work out a reasonable compromise for this event (exactly what you will provide, etc.) and not charge them additional. You should also create a rider for future events.

And who this customer is doesn't matter. When large organizations (companies, universities, you name it) provide services from one department to another, they pay each other (not with cash, but through accounting). Like if the sales department orders food from the company kitchen for a meeting they get a bill and an accounting entry is made so everyone knows about food cost, labor cost, you name it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back