The iPhone 7 has no headphone jack

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/7/12823596/apple-iphone-7-no-headphone-jack-lightning-earbuds

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the CB community here. I'm torn, personally I don't see the benefit of eliminating the headphone jack since I use mine very frequently and don't want to mess with wireless earbuds that I will lose immediately. But as a veteran of dance and talent shows where I end up with a half dozen iPhones to patch in because no one knows how to burn a CD anymore, I will take a certain, evil pleasure in telling them "I don't have the adapter," and watching their dreams of karaoke glory die before my eyes.

To me it's the same reason why business-grade laptops still have a VGA port. Backwards compatibility is more important than new and fancy tech that probably will create more headaches from the sound tech's standpoint.

Well, the days of the visiting engineer hooking up their iPhone to tune are pretty much over going forward it seems. No one in our business is going to carry that adapter... and therefore I see the iPhone going away for those in our business. I'm sure not going to make sure we own one of those adapters. I'm already annoyed looking at the 2 grand macbook pro sitting on my desk that has both an ethernet dongle and a VGA dongle sitting next to it. Can't figure out how to jam a 3.5mm connector in? Really?

Now, if they had Chromecast headphones I could get behind that.

Implants I say!!!!!! You're ear bone is connected to you Idoodad. It's the next human upgrade.

Well, the days of the visiting engineer hooking up their iPhone to tune are pretty much over going forward it seems. No one in our business is going to carry that adapter... and therefore I see the iPhone going away for those in our business. I'm sure not going to make sure we own one of those adapters. I'm already annoyed looking at the 2 grand macbook pro sitting on my desk that has both an ethernet dongle and a VGA dongle sitting next to it. Can't figure out how to jam a 3.5mm connector in? Really?

Now, if they had Chromecast headphones I could get behind that.

No offense, but it will likely become standard. This seems to be leaving an older tech behind (the analog TRS connection) for far more modern advances to take it's place. I'm sure most people were saying the same thing when digital consoles came to fruition, running digital snakes as opposed to analog ones. They will eventually say the same thing when wireless transmission becomes rock solid instead of BOH to FOH runs. Thankfully we're in an industry that is full of advancements instead of being dead and stale. I welcome it. Just my .02 of course.

No offense, but it will likely become standard. This seems to be leaving an older tech behind (the analog TRS connection) for far more modern advances to take it's place. I'm sure most people were saying the same thing when digital consoles came to fruition, running digital snakes as opposed to analog ones. They will eventually say the same thing when wireless transmission becomes rock solid instead of BOH to FOH runs. Thankfully we're in an industry that is full of advancements instead of being dead and stale. I welcome it. Just my .02 of course.

None taken. The problem with Apple here is that it is all proprietary. I'm cool with replacing old tech, but when you replace it with things like the lightning connector and whatever wireless protocol Apple is planning on using instead of Bluetooth, that is a step backward.

None taken. The problem with Apple here is that it is all proprietary. I'm cool with replacing old tech, but when you replace it with things like the lightning connector and whatever wireless protocol Apple is planning on using instead of Bluetooth, that is a step backward.
Exactly this.

Moving from cassette to cd was a good advancement because CDs were simply better. Not tape to wind up so the discs last longer, more storage and no need to flip the disc. It was a better technology.
Using the lighting connector opposed to the 3.5mm jack doesn't improve sound quality, its a proprietary tech that apple doesn't even let companies make things with the female end to. If everyone wanted to move to usb-c and only use that it would make a little more sense (still not really). Apples wireless is its own custom chip, bluetooth sounds like crap too and switching to wireless requires you to sync them up or pair and charge the headphones. That and the sound quality is lower.

Changing to a new tech is all fine and dandy when the new tech is an improvement. Wireless and lighting plug headphones are NOT an improvement on the current tech.

Apple has never made anything it does "standard" with the exception of Firewire. The Lightning connector is patented by them and only they can produce and work with it. You'll never see it on anything else. Comparing this to the digital console transition is not even close to right. This is more akin to Shure deciding that the SM58 from here on out will output digitally via 19 pin cable that only they can make instead of the XLR that everyone uses. There is nothing gained here. Audio quality is not going to get better. Your now making the devices that you plug into that jack more expensive because they DAC and pre-amp has to be integrated into the device. Until we can all hear digitally you still need to convert that audio to analog sound somewhere.

Apple has never made anything it does "standard" with the exception of Firewire. The Lightning connector is patented by them and only they can produce and work with it. You'll never see it on anything else. Comparing this to the digital console transition is not even close to right. This is more akin to Shure deciding that the SM58 from here on out will output digitally via 19 pin cable that only they can make instead of the XLR that everyone uses. There is nothing gained here. Audio quality is not going to get better. Your now making the devices that you plug into that jack more expensive because they DAC and pre-amp has to be integrated into the device. Until we can all hear digitally you still need to convert that audio to analog sound somewhere.
The transition to digital snakes actually made sense too. Its replacing a very large and heavy snake with a rack and a thin ethernet cable. A cable a lot of people already own. Consoles even often kept some analog inputs as omni ins so that you could still plug some things in. If apple wanted to move to wireless and lighting start creating good options first, still have the headphone jack and once the old tech starts to be overtaken by the new stuff then you drop it entirely. Dropping cd rom drives on laptops was a decent idea as most stuff was becoming available digitally anyways and cds were not being used as often as headphones anyways.

I like your idea there.

It would be like a lighting manufacturer dropping dmx entirely and saying its wireless only and it only works with our wireless lighting desk.

Seems to me a $9 1/8 to Lightning adapter is pretty cheap to have and keep around for an audio dept. We seemingly get a lot folks giving us iPhones/Pods to play back their music, so it's just one more piece of hardware in the tool kit.

Personally, I already BT stream my music at home (rarely though) and in my car (always). As well, my hearing aids BT connect to my iPhone as well, to take a call, as well as adjust setting of the aids, etc... so it's no big deal to me. It'll be a while before I get a 7 anyway.

That works true. But thats what, $100 so you can plug your phone in?
My biggest issue is if everyone moves to bluetooth, I wonder how shitty connections will start being. Imagine being on a crowded train and not being able to find your headphones in the bluetooth list as there are too many and then having trouble connecting as the airwaves are full of bluetooth connections.

How about the square reader and other peripherals many of us use to do business? I'm sure there is a workaround, but...

Come join the world of Android we have headphone jacks! ;)

I've still got a 5c iphone, haven't upgraded even though it's due because I don't want to pay out the nose for features I don't really care about. For me at least the whole smartphone plateaued when it got to the point where I can check the weather/news/reddit and email. The games are all a grab bag of pay to win crap and uninteresting timewasters. I think I'll hang on to this one til it either dies or Apple OS's it to death. Then I was looking at the Windows phone since it's the cheapest smartphone from Verizon at the moment. I really just want somethign that can get online so I can Google-Fu when I'm not near a computer. The audio connector is probably the final push I needed.

That being said I do like the Android OS too. I've got a cheapo Fire tablet that runs a flavor of it and it works about as good as anything.

We need to have someone engineer a Lightning Port to Stereo mXLR cable, similar to the Sescom 30pin to XLR Cable. http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=SES-IPOD2-AUDIO
I'm not saying it's ideal, and I would much rather Apple move to USB-C along with all other manufactures so any device, phone or computer, could be plugged in through the USB-C port. But having a direct cable that passes Audio to the XLR would make it much easier than worrying about the adapter. It would also be nice if it passes power as well, to charge and play audio at the same time.

The square reader will work with the adapter, it's on it's way out anyway since chip and sign is putting an end to swiping anyway. You'll have to buy their bluetooth chip reader soon anyways.

My real problem is charging. What are we supposed to do at an all day event? When your plugged into the adapter then your not charging the device anymore. Now you have to hope the battery holds out, or live with the poorer quality from bluetooth and buy another expensive DI just for that use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back