The latest UV fixtures?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I was a huge fan of the Elation UV Wash light, it provided tons of blacklight for around $150. But it's off the market, replaced with much higher priced LED units. So what's your favorite Blacklight fixture now providing a lot of bang for the buck in the $100-$200 range?

How do the LED UV sources compare to the fluorescent ones?

Black light CFL's from Home Depot in clip lights? Thats mostly what the old Elation product was.

While I was in my dealers shop the other day, they had some UV neon glow tape and paint samples side by side with a LED "UV" source lighting one and a old style UV lamp lighting the other. The LED had a very very different color to it. Not necessarily bad, but make sure you test it before you buy a bunch.

I asked them if LEDs put out actual UV (because I thought I read somewhere that they didn't) and I was told that they put out a non-harmful type of UV.

I'm trying out the Blizzard Hotbox 5 RGBVW. The UV is pretty impressive in it. Units are around $250 a piece. These would have more broad reaching uses than a UV only fixture, but not Quite as much 'POP'. I'm testing two units right now, but am planing to buy a full wash of them. I'm impressed so far, but I will report back with my results.

I've heard great things about the Altman LED UV units, but have never been able to play with one myself. You have to watch out for cheap LED UV units, because the UV can destroy the cheap lenses over time and cheap units use.

Apollo is developing a 365nm UV light for an architectural project. When more info is available, I'll post details here-

I have a couple of ADJ's UVLED Bar 16 blacklights. As others have mentioned the color seems a little off compared to a traditional blacklight. I have also noticed that not as many colors react to the LEDs. I do like that I can get a dark purple with the UV LEDs that regular RGB units can't achieve. If you want to get the color reactions that traditional UV's are known for than I wouldn't recommend the LEDs, or at least not the model I have. However, if you want more a dark purple effect with more mild UV reactions then these lights have a great bang for the buck.

This small thumbnail shows a new fixture designed and built here at Apollo-

Attachments

• UV4 small.jpg
    UV4 small.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 218
As you can see from the photo, this unit is IP65 rated and quite durable. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back