The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Automated Fixtures The Martin MAC III

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by LekoBoy, Aug 30, 2008.

1. LekoBoy

LekoBoy Active Member

2. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Screw gun for hire
    looks pretty

3. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

1500W lamp, from what I've seen on various websites. It'll be able to punch with congo and red, which is awesome. Looks like it has killer fast zoom!

4. Serendipity

Serendipity Active Member Premium Member

It does look pretty "killer". I like it's quick zoom too, though I'm curious why they used the same pattern for most of the ad.

5. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

My guess is that they don't want to give away all of their new gobo designs yet.

6. Radiant

Radiant Active Member

Would that be a beam projector lens?

7. ScaredOfHeightsLD

ScaredOfHeightsLD Active Member

WOW! What a fixture. Martin has certainly outdone themselves on this one. Its crisp, clean, fast and has great colors. Really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these.

8. MNicolai

MNicolai Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Consultant
    I'd take this over the ShowPix any day.

This is fuel to the fire for the competition between HES and Martin to deliver the most-desirable and advanced equipment.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  9. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

[user]Radiant[/user], why don't you research "beam projector" for us and make a glossary entry? [Hint: it's NOT a beam projector lens.]

10. Radiant

Radiant Active Member

What? Can you assign homework now too? I'm so busy these days, what with with Tetris and Hexxagon...

[-]I thought it was a beam projector based on the lens size.[/-] I gather then that it's a plano convex lens.

Initial Googling indicates that beam projectors don't have a lens. :oops:

11. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    I believe assigning homework is the prerogative of the Senior Team (it may even say that in the CB-ST mission statement...). It is probably not a plano-convex lens, which would look something sorta kinda like this: |). First off, there are probably at least two lenses to allow for zoom, and they are probably both aspheric convex lenses. Though it is possible that the optical train includes other lenses or a combination of lens types, it is hard to say without seeing a drawing.

12. TimOlson

TimOlson Member

there's no comparison between a showpix and the Martin Mac III -- they are for completely different things. one could easily have both on a show.

peace, Tim O

13. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

clay paky is comming out with their 1500w line, martin now has their new toy, HES, i know you are comming out with something, guess its time for me to see what i can find.... Anyone have any info?

14. SAWYeR

SAWYeR Active Member

Can I just have one now? please?

15. soundman1024

soundman1024 Active Member

Call me crazy, but I think High End is about done with "intelligent lights." Think about the company name. All the development has been in lighting control [Hog], video technologies and technologies that include LED They haven't done much with moving lights as they have been for the last 12 years lately.

As for High End's next-gen fixture, I would say Showgun was it..and this could be what Martin came back with. If I am right, Martin is brilliant for bringing out this unit. It's more than a Mac 2k which moves fixtures, but its size and weight looks more practical than a Showgun.

16. bdkdesigns

bdkdesigns Active Member Fight Leukemia

My random thoughts make me wonder if this is the source of the PRG/Martin patent lawsuit. Nothing as far as I have seen have said what the infringements are. Could it be because it involves two currently unannounced fixtures? Some of the visuals I see from the MAC III resemble what I have seen from PRG's Badboy (or however they plan on spelling/capitalizing it).

17. TimMiller

Highend is releasing a 1200 W spot to complement the 1200 W studio command. The x-spot was popular due to the large gobo selection, so we will see what happens with their new mover. I do know it will have more than 4 rotating gobos.

18. CooLOnE

CooLOnE Member

Info from PLSN verifying that the MAC III was held up because of the PRG lawsuits.

Martin 2008 Earnings Hinge on Q4 Mac III Launch - PLSN

Quoting the article: "The MAC III is now expected to be ready for the market in the fourth quarter of 2008, and Martin is pinning its hopes for achieving its 2008 revenue target of approximately DKK 1.2 billion on that launch as well. <snip> Adding to that uncertainty is the fact that the Martin MAC luminaire’s lamp and three-color digital gobo system were part of a 20-count patent infringement lawsuit filed by Production Resource Group (PRG) in July."

I've always liked the Martin products more than High End. I wouldn't try to point out specifics, but I just do.

19. DarSax

DarSax Active Member

Regardless of the fixture (which looks pretty sweet), I just want to point out to the ridiculousness of the url, which includes "restricted/access/zone" and "confidential."

ohmygod I feel like I'm harriet the spy...

20. TimMiller

Martin tends to always be lacking in the eprom programming dept. The programming is very sloppy, hard to navigate without a manual, and the way the have the motor programming, the motors all are constantly making noise. It may have to do a little with the 3773 (driver chip used by highend) vs the 3775 (driver chip used my martin). I have always liked highend over martin. They have both had their flops (highends run of bad motors, martins long term run of bad failure prone wiring harnesses)......