The next show I am working on is "The Wiz"

Now what would you suggest for a more urban feel? We might be going in that direction instead of farm girl. Not sure yet! The director is kinda overly excited to really get anything out of right now!

City gobos on your cyc? Pavement-colored platforms along with some brick, steel, or other building material?

Im talking lighting-wise But the city gobo's are a good idea!

Fire Escapes. Everywhere. Collaborate with the Set Designer, find out where one is going, and light it. Insta-Urban. Have some streetlights, and at least one out (more if your in Detroit...). If your feeling brave, drive thru the projects of a nearby city at night. I have found urban areas tend to be a fairly hazy amber color, with some high temp lights where they replaced the old Sodium Vapors with HMIs. Look at how shadowy everything is, even though there is a TON of light. Use that to your advantage. Think atmospherics and practical-type effects. A hazer under the stage gently whisping haze through a manhole, a thin smog from the factories... I think to get a very urban look, your primary tool is going to be the set (sorry man). The light will enhance it and make it work as a real city area. Your big scenes are going to be your dream looks or anything that goes surreal. Consider the colors on the set carefully, and utilize colors that might change the color of the set into a more surreal looking area. One simple but effective way to enhance a city feel is to cut holes in an urban backdrop and put light boxes behind them (I have found rope light coiled up works better than a bare bulb behind diffusion) and turn them on at the "night" scenes.

Fire Escapes. Everywhere. Collaborate with the Set Designer, find out where one is going, and light it. Insta-Urban. Have some streetlights, and at least one out (more if your in Detroit...). If your feeling brave, drive thru the projects of a nearby city at night. I have found urban areas tend to be a fairly hazy amber color, with some high temp lights where they replaced the old Sodium Vapors with HMIs. Look at how shadowy everything is, even though there is a TON of light.

Great for an evening or night scene, could go something similar for a daytime alley scene having concentrated, bright light. Or in a open, urban park, some small breakup gobos with a greenish gel to have light going through tree leaves, assuming spring or summer.

Great for an evening or night scene, could go something similar for a daytime alley scene having concentrated, bright light. Or in a open, urban park, some small breakup gobos with a greenish gel to have light going through tree leaves, assuming spring or summer.

For night possibly try and replicate something like this:
proxy.php

Rosco #10 might be an interesting color to try. Although, I am basing that off of the color on-line and the description:
Unflattering in acting areas
seems to describe those lights.

For night possibly try and replicate something like this:
proxy.php

Rosco #10 might be an interesting color to try. Although, I am basing that off of the color on-line and the description: seems to describe those lights.

You may be right? Its some sort of Amber. Possibly cut 50/50 with N/C

Hey guys,
Typically we let people learn by trying and avoid spoon feeding. Teach a man to fish as the saying goes.... So let's keep it to helping instead of telling.

Stop.The very first step is to find out what the director wants.
Next meet with the director and set designer and see what you are working with.
It's a pointless exercise to come up with loads of ideas which don't fit in with the directors vision.
Your job is part of a team to realize the directors vision, in order to do this you can add your ideas and you can ask on this forum how to create the effects requested.
Theatre is a team sport and the director is the captain.

Over on my blog (www.esotericivisions.com) there is a series of blog entries about how I go about designing a show.

I tend to want to be informed and proactive even from the first meeting. I feel unprepared if I meet with the director without having read the script and coming in with some ideas of my own. I like to be able to help inform and drive the production, instead of feeling like I am along for the ride.

But in general for me The Wiz has several things. First of all Kansas and Oz need to be VERY different places. Secondly there is usually a lot of dance in The Wiz, so let that fact inform your design choices. Also, it is about green. The color (or colors) of green you use are VERY important. Lastly it is a musical with a Motown feel, so let that also inform your decisions. Finally it is a musical, so you get to run wild a bit.

Have fun, stick lights in odd places, but don't cut a hole in the scenery without asking the scenic designer first.

Over on my blog (www.esotericivisions.com) there is a series of blog entries about how I go about designing a show.

I tend to want to be informed and proactive even from the first meeting. I feel unprepared if I meet with the director without having read the script and coming in with some ideas of my own. I like to be able to help inform and drive the production, instead of feeling like I am along for the ride.

But in general for me The Wiz has several things. First of all Kansas and Oz need to be VERY different places. Secondly there is usually a lot of dance in The Wiz, so let that fact inform your design choices. Also, it is about green. The color (or colors) of green you use are VERY important. Lastly it is a musical with a Motown feel, so let that also inform your decisions. Finally it is a musical, so you get to run wild a bit.

Have fun, stick lights in odd places, but don't cut a hole in the scenery without asking the scenic designer first.

I have always wanted to head over into costume world oh hey I need live wire in all your seams on that. K Thanks!

I have always wanted to head over into costume world oh hey I need live wire in all your seams on that. K Thanks!

I once cut up a costume that had a battery pack in it. Yeah. The costume designer didn't like that a whole lot....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back