Theatre Ceiling Color

iwankerl

Hello All!

Looking to do some painting on a wall in one of are theatre spaces. This wall will be visible to the patroness. Really you can consider it part of the proscenium edge.

Back story... Someone at some point in time thought it was a great idea to take a very nice looking wall, designed with acoustic in mind (out of wood), and paint it a dirt brown color. There is only 3'-4' painted upstage/downstage but it is ceiling to floor.

Some of my coworkers would like to paint it black. I am not against the idea but feel that dark purple color would be best due to dust on black makes it look white. Does any one know what the color name for the dark purple is?

The attached picture is from on stage looking at the back of the house. The wood slats go all the way around the main house area and up onto the proscenium edge where the brown is painted at. (sorry don't have a picture on my phone of that area.)

I am also open to other suggestions. Thanks!!

IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG IMG_0604.JPG

I would suggest you want to select a color that goes with the dominant color in the room, which seems to be in an earth tone. For me this would be some kind of dark umber ( brown ).

What color is the grand drape? Is it vosable when the curtain is open?

I would strip it and stain it to match the rest of the house. I don't think black or purple would suit the space.
While I think a more comprehensive solution is needed, I agree with restoring to the matching clear finished wood.

PS - I'd think more about getting rid of the troffers.

The dirt brown color may have been an attempt to minimize audience distraction when stage light hits the wood strips... I recall a theater with a beautiful native limestone proscenium. When stage light hit it, the limestone proscenium was prettier than the show within it, so they covered the rocks with black flats.

The dirt brown color may have been an attempt to minimize audience distraction when stage light hits the wood strips... I recall a theater with a beautiful native limestone proscenium. When stage light hit it, the limestone proscenium was prettier than the show within it, so they covered the rocks with black flats.
I think a theatre should be a beautiful place that people like to be on. But the proscenium - especially when performers or presenters may be in front of it needs to be cooler and darker than Caucasian skin tones. Somehow easier to get dark skin tones to pop out but pinks and yellows often get lost on warm backgrounds.

I would suggest you want to select a color that goes with the dominant color in the room, which seems to be in an earth tone. For me this would be some kind of dark umber ( brown ).

What color is the grand drape? Is it vosable when the curtain is open?
From the decorator point of view every room needs three elements; a dominant color, accent color, and bonding neutral. Dominant color (red, yellow, blue, green, purple, etc) is whichever is the most or brightest. Accent is a lesser amount, refer to a color wheel. Compliment are opposite like red/green. Triatic in triangle red/yellow/blue. Analogous colors are groups of threecolors that are next to each other on the color wheel, with one being the dominant color, which tends to be a primary or secondary color, and one on either side of the color. Red, red-orange, and red-violet are examples.

Brown, tan, black, white are neutrals and should bond to each other.

If the grand is red and matches the chairs that's dominate. Wood is neutral but so is the white floor, they are fighting and not bonding.

I didn't see a complement color?

Careful with purple use as a complement only or you'll get tired of it soon.

PS - I'd think more about getting rid of the troffers.

I wish we could to but they are brand new! They are installing wall sconces and a few can lights to be used during productions. The troffers are maintenance's way of getting enough light in the room for class.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I think I will try to get them to lean towards a brown color in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back