Thick Haze/Mist Effect which Dissipates Quickly

Hi,

I remember seeing a recent production of Pygmalion at the Garrick Theatre in the West End. When the curtain rose at the beginning of the play the whole stage (which represented a London street at night) was filled with a reasonably thick haze which gave a great effect. What's interesting is that the haze cleared within a minute or two, probably so as not to distract the audience. I emailed the lighting designer to ask about the effect and he confirmed it was indeed a hazer as opposed to a fog machine, although he was unable to specify which one.

Can anyone suggest how to create a similar effect? It is my understanding that haze machines are typically used to help create light beams, and it is their objective to generate haze which is as thin and long-lasting as possible. Are there any haze machines or fluids which create a thicker haze but also disappear quickly once switched off?

Thanks!

Good Morning

This will only work with a curtain.
The curtain act like a wall making 2 rooms, with 2 separate atmospheres.
Most good hazers will put out enough haze to fill a room given time ( the stage).
If you take down the wall ( open the curtain) the atmospheres mix.
And the haze will migrate into the larger room (the house)
You need to consider HVAC & air flow, into the house or onto the stage.
Size of the venue etc….

I have used fast dissipating fluid in the past to great effect. Several manufacturers make it, but I believe it is for smoke machines and not hazers. I have used this with a chilling device to create a low lying fog that clears very quickly. I also use it in venues with ceiling mounted smoke detectors that I do not wish to trigger. I always do a test prior to the show with all the proper higher ups notified and on standby.

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I remember, when the curtain opened we could feel a sort of mist on our faces as the haze flowed out of the stage into the auditorium.
Does the haze become thicker, the longer you leave the machine on? Most of the haze fluid manufacturers use the long hang time and invisible haze as a selling point, whereas I would ideally like it to be as thick as possible.

Good Morning

I think that the volume of haze building in a limited space is what you saw.
When the curtain opened the “room” expanded & the less dense air displaced the dense haze.
Thus the change of the visual dispersion of haze.
The haze was still there. But the “there” was bigger

Assuming you don't lose the fog/haze through the hvac think of it it terms of water. With the curtain closed you have a small glass. It fills fast and seems like a bunch of water, when the curtain opens its like filling up a bucket. It takes a lot longer and the same amount of fog fills the new space and literally is only a drop in the bucket, so it dissipates quickly.

Via tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back