Thoughts on E6 Flex

AlexDavila

Has anyone worked with Countryman's E6 Flex earset mic? I just noticed it on B&H and it looks like "the best of both worlds," but some of the reviews suggest that it breaks down fairly quickly. Having worked with other E6 derivatives, I'm familiar with the line's benefits and drawbacks, so I'm wondering if this is on par with the others.
Thank you!

Depends on how you use it, but failures of the E6 tend to fall into two categories. A failure of the cable (common, ~$45 to replace the cable, can be encountered less by using the 2mm cable over the 1mm), or a failure of the mic element boom (less common, usually due to metal fatigue over a number of years of being bent back and forth, repair unlikely).

Personally, I prefer the B3 and E2. Both are more cost-effective (see a later post from me about this), the E2 lends itself to less hassle because it's better concealed to begin with and needs less bending to make usable -- less bending means less metal fatigue means a greater lifespan. The B3 is a good in-hair mic or lapel mic, and while it require more coordination between costuming and audio, it means less time trying to tape peoples' mic booms to their faces and less wear-and-tear on the mic's.

Don't know what your application is, but recently I've been talking with more schools interested in buying Countrymans for leads, and el cheapo $95 ear sets with replaceable cables for ensemble. I've seen them marketed under Vu brand and it's what our shop gets them in as, but I believe these to be OEM versions of Samson's ear set mic's. For the cost, the sound quality is sufficient though the high end leaves a little to be desired, but at that price point they're sacrificial and much more cost-effective to replace as they break than up keeping a Countryman inventory. Eventually what I've worked with a couple schools to settle on is a blend of Vu's for ensemble characters and sacrificial applications that are cheap to replace, B3's for in-hair applications and lapel mic's where sound quality matters, and E2's for over-ear use with a little more concealment than the the E6's -- also at a much friendlier price point than the E2's.

One of the school's I've mentioned is on Year 5 of their wireless systems' installation, and though they've been just fine replacing cables here and there, this last 6mos their chickens have come home to roost and have lost 8-10 of their E6 Flex's, with the mic booms breaking directly above the cable connector, where the boom begins to wrap up and around back of the ear. These failures are all irreparable and require replacement of the microphones. Likely due to how they've been handled over the years, but it's important to keep in mind that bendable booms are not impervious to metal fatigue and will eventually fail -- sometimes systematically, many in a short period of time. Kind of the nature of the product design. Not necessarily a deal-breaker if you know that going into the purchase and keep a growing rainy day budget for repairs and replacements.

Apologies if I muddied up the waters for you here.

Last edited:
FWIW, I used to work at an auction TV network, and while our hosts admittedly didn't work a mic nearly as hard as drama will, we had spectacular luck with the E6 knockoffs sold on eBay, at either a $50 or 75 price point; never a cable problem; good audio quality, etc. And they weren't especially nice to them...

The Boss had a *real* E6, and it wasn't noticeably better sounding. And IIRC, *his* we had to replace once.

They work well, but I've had two of them break booms exactly as MNicolai describes. I would guess they do not hold up well to different users that like to bend them to fit better. These two were in a church and were used once a week for about 3-4 years, but by different speakers each week. I have used them for singing and they get a pretty good response and for speaking (primary use at this space) they were great as well. Comfortable to wear and versatile, but I would only use them with people you trust not to fiddle with them.

The one time I used the E6, we had one set out of three break where the beige boom meets the silver wire at the connector on the ear loop. We had several H6 headbands on that show and they were good, but one actor's head was a bit too big for it to fit him comfortably or stay on his head (not joking). I'm on a show with 11 B3's and couldn't be happier. Good sound, great GBF, and relatively low profile (we're taping to the face and blending the tape with makeup).

So for my high school / middle school musical application (4 shows a year), the general consensus is that I should look at getting b3's instead of e6's? I ask because I was all set to get e6's up until reading this thread. Also, Mike, are you saying that e2's are cheaper that e6's? Because I'm not seeing that.

So for my high school / middle school musical application (4 shows a year), the general consensus is that I should look at getting b3's instead of e6's? I ask because I was all set to get e6's up until reading this thread. Also, Mike, are you saying that e2's are cheaper that e6's? Because I'm not seeing that.

It's hardly a consensus. Every application is different, and within each microphone model, Countryman offers multiple variations thereof, further muddying the waters. There are also some users who would prefer to teach costumers how to wire mic's into performers' hair, and others who want no one to touch their microphones but the audio person as they put it on the performer. Some need the flexibility of using a B3 as a hair mic one day, and a lapel mic the next. Others only ever want earset mic's.

Let me further elaborate on the pricing and cost-effectiveness over time:

B3's are much cheaper than than E6's and E2's. Effectively, you can get two for every one E6. They lack a detachable cable though, so when the cable breaks you need to whip out a microscope and precision soldering iron or you need to send it to Countryman for repair.

E2's are at roughly the same price point as E6's. The smaller boom makes for less fidgeting with how the boom and sits on a person's ear, and may increase the lifespan of a microphone if it indeed makes for less metal fatigue on the boom. The microphone is further from the mouth though, so for untrained singers it could make for a rougher experience -- though the E2's directional mic versus an E6 omni -- Countryman says should give a similar response.

The biggest issue I see out there with E6's over E3's is that users feel compelled to use clear medical tape to hold the microphone's to a performer's face, as sometimes the boom can feel like it is floating out in space. When people do this, the rotation of the performers' head puts additional stress on that rear connection just below the back of the ear, where I've seen the greatest number of irreparable failures.

Almost every audience will not only forgive the visual appearance of a microphone, but most will not even notice or think about it. Audiences these days expect wireless microphones to be in use, and if they are somewhat visible, it is not an interruption to the artistic experience of theater.

In some ways it's a wash no matter what you do. B3's will cost you more in repairs, but you can buy more of them with a given budget, and repairs are cheaper than replacements. E2's and E6's you can't buy as many of with a given budget, but you can get replacement cables for them -- although if/when the microphone boom eventually fails, it's a costly replacement. Especially if you get a series of failures hitting you all at once -- not because of misuse but because they've been through the gauntlet for five years.

Most important is that somewhere there exists a rainy day budget for replacements, and that a sufficient amount of spare microphones and/or cables are included in a purchase. You don't want to be in a position where you're in immediate need of getting 3 mic's replaced and don't have the budget for it.

Alternatively, you can buy enough mic's to get you through most of the smaller events (4-8 mic's), and rent for the 24-mic productions. It's not cheap per-production and schools often get one-time purchase approvals instead of evenly distributed budgets, but it saves you the gross expense of having to maintain your own wireless systems. The FCC is looking to hack apart the wireless spectrum a second time with a 600MHz auction, and I know one venue that'll need to replace half of their wireless systems if that happens to the tune of $20k. I've been spitballing ideas with them and one of the ideas is to move to area mic's instead of personal wireless mic's. Wireless mic's have never been particularly cheap to operate and maintain, and they're not going to get any cheaper as more and more users get crammed into a smaller amount of available spectrum.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all audio reinforcement solution for this. Not remotely.

It's hardly a consensus.

Mike, Thank you for your reply. I know there isn't one answer for this, just everyone who replied seemed to be pointing away from the E6's.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions on this. I'm thinking that since I have the budget now, I might as well go for the E6's, but for the rack I just got a quote from Kim for I'm only going to pursue B3's. I'm currently working with three different group's budgets, so I have to figure out how to make it all work.

Alex, sorry if I hijacked your thread a little bit. I have personally been using an E6x, but have only used it for 2 or 3 shows so I can't really speak to it's longevity.

I've been spitballing ideas with them and one of the ideas is to move to area mic's instead of personal wireless mic's.

Anything other than aerial condensers and boundary's on the deck? I've never been wholly satisfied with either but am interested in something easier than bodypacking everyone.

Just thought of this- with B3's it can be tricky to use them in lapel situations, but not if you're careful. Whereas the E6 can be put on with little difficulty. We use B3's (or B3 clones) pretty exclusively at our theatre, when a group requests lapel mics they have a kit of several gizmos that can be attached to the mic cable. I did have a kid trash one by not taking enough care in getting the cable into the clip. Normally we tape to the cheek, occasionally through the hair. Again, both mics are great at what they do as long as you don't treat them like sm58's. I think it all comes down to how your crew handles mics and what you expect from your performers with regard to mic care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back