Design Three-phase Power

NicolasX

Hi all, I'm gonna be hosting an event and I wanted to ask how I should go about getting power to the fixtures. It's an industrial building with three-phase power. All our fixtures are 110v and 220v lights, with l'acoustic line arrays. For the sake of info, our fixtures are as follow:

x7 Clay Paky Sharpy (110v)
x8 Martin MAC 700 Profiles (110v)
x12 Clay Paky 1500 HPEs (220v, 1500W mode)
x16 Martin Atomic 3000s (220v, 1200W mode)
x3 10W Lasers (220v)
x1 City Theatrical PDS-750 (110v)
running x12 ColorKinetics ColorBlast TR
x2 Chroma-Q Color Force 12 (110v)

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
You should hire someone with the appropriate knowledge to do it for you. Safe power distribution is not the kind of thing you want to learn about over the internet.

Hire an electrician to install a power distro, one can be rented from most rental companies. Give the electrician and/or rental company the list above and they will figure out how much power you will need and what type of distro to rent.

Power is not something to mess around with. By the simple fact that you need to ask you are probably over your head. :)

Just to complicate things more, it isn't just "three phase power" there are several types, wye , delta and high leg delta. Since this is an industrial space, it could be any of them.

Not only do you have wye, delta, and high leg also called wild leg, you have many different voltages. Most will have 480v/277, but some will have 600v, then you always have to watch or for 120/240 3 phase delta because there will be a single leg of 208 but you will get readings of 240 between any 2 legs. I once saw a rig of studio colors go up in smoke (i still have the boards) because someone hooked up to a wild leg. Most Industrial places I have worked in have 480/277 so we had to use step down transformers which can be rented from some large generator rental places.

Good Morning hobbsies

A very important part of your Electricians site survey is to meter the power that will be used for the gig.
Talk to the house electrician or TD / house manager & get as much info before the gig so you have as little suprises as posible.
Don't assume anything. find out for yourself. It's your gear, it's your crew, it's up to you to protect them.

Last edited:
So out of curiosity, how would one detect this? Testing each leg to ground?

Yes. Leg to leg, A-B, B-C, and A-C readings would be 240v. A-G, A-N, C-G, C-N would be 120v, and B-G, B-N would be 208v.

Cool thanks guys. It was purely a question out of curiosity, I'm not touring anything anytime soon where I would have to perform these actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back