To Lightwright or No?

Yes. Exactly. Perhaps poorly was a ... well... poor choice of word. It does what it does and that which it does it does it well, if that makes any sense.

On any show with more than 50 conventionals, LW is a must for me. Anything under 50 I can track in my head with notes scrawled like a maniac in sharpie on my arm.

I find a lot of mistakes and I make a lot of changes during design and LW allows me to quickly update ALL my paperwork in a single change.

I also found over the years that in the theater world I rarely referred to my light plot and typically left it in the book. Before this rock and roll/corporate world I'm in now, the plot was a tool to design with and show the confused stagehands what I need where. After that it is all spreadsheets for me, so to have a program like LW (rather than excel) to track 400 fixtures, notes, changes, adds, deletions, etc. etc. was a must.
Oh, and magic sheets.

But now in this other industry, all I need typically is the plot to hand off to the electrics lead and away we go.

I've found what your talking about is one of the biggest differences between Rock LD's and Theatre LD's.

Nothing like being focused and desperate to make me remember how something works.

Steve B.

Line of the century...so good its going in my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back