Tony Awards/Bret Michaels

mbenonis

Wireless Guy
Administrator
Premium Member
So did anyone watch the Tony's tonight. Two words: SOUND FAIL.

The cyc had big, ugly WRINKLES during WSS Mambo.:(

The Tony Awards Impressions

So, what did you guys think? Anyone see something that caught their eye? Or did you all simply hate it?

And on another note. I find it simply amazing that CBS has decided to not air the artistic design awards. The designs are an integral part of a show, and they all deserve the same recognition as the actors receive. Every award deserves air time. Period.

Re: The Tony Awards Impressions

So, what did you guys think? Anyone see something that caught their eye? Or did you all simply hate it?

And on another note. I find it simply amazing that CBS has decided to not air the artistic design awards. The designs are an integral part of a show, and they all deserve the same recognition as the actors receive. Every award deserves air time. Period.

They did take about 2 minutes to run through the best lighting, sound, scenic, and costume design awards for Plays and Musicals. Not the full treatment as the other awards, but for the Tonys on prime time, that's what's paying the bills.

What I thought was bad presentation was how the camera didn't frame the full picture and caption of the artists that passed away in the past year. For a few people, you couldn't read their name or their expertise.

Joe

What I thought was bad presentation was how the camera didn't frame the full picture and caption of the artists that passed away in the past year. For a few people, you couldn't read their name or their expertise.

Joe

That bugged me quite a bit as well

Anyone see something that caught their eye?

Well, the scenery caught Bret Michaels' head, does that count?

There definitely were some audio gaffs; mics on backstage that shouldn't have been. I loved when I forgot who's mic went out mid sentence. Our TV feed had someone say "I'm going!" and they ran a new mic out there. We kept getting a lot of comm feed on our broadcast feed for some reason. The pit overpowered a few presentations too; I couldn't hear a word over it.

The show was decent. A few numbers made me go WTF? I'm sure they're much better in the context of the entire show (Billy Elliot anyone?:rolleyes:). Loved the Jersey Boy's segment; cool seeing all the different show's on stage.

I thought it was a pretty bad presentation. Lots of sound issues from not being able to hear leads in teh mix to missed mics. The lighting was less than stellar, with lots of fancy concert style lighting effects, and a lack of face light in many spots. It really bugged me too the way you could not read about a third of the slides for those who had passed. They seemed to be way to worried about fancy camera pans and such, that they missed the whole point of that segment.

~Dave

At least it was hosted by NPH.

I saw a lot of problems, but they seemed to catch them eventually. My biggest issues were with the memorial segment, but they at least seemed to get somewhat better. It's unfortunate that they lost the first third or so, though.

I tuned in late, so I didn't get to see the drop out during Guys and Dolls, but I did see the clip on YouTube. Quickly handled, but poorly. The stagehand was too hesitant and questioned too much, rather than getting confirmation and acting without the talk. Maybe a few words, but the "I'm going, I'm going" was completely unnecessary.

Well, the scenery caught Bret Michaels' head, does that count?

There definitely were some audio gaffs; mics on backstage that shouldn't have been. I loved when I forgot who's mic went out mid sentence. Our TV feed had someone say "I'm going!" and they ran a new mic out there. We kept getting a lot of comm feed on our broadcast feed for some reason. The pit overpowered a few presentations too; I couldn't hear a word over it.

The show was decent. A few numbers made me go WTF? I'm sure they're much better in the context of the entire show (Billy Elliot anyone?:rolleyes:). Loved the Jersey Boy's segment; cool seeing all the different show's on stage.

Heres the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JocPcYBCN18

I love how people think it's staged...

No, actually I hate it. Who in their right mind would think professionals would plan a stunt so potentially dangerous?

Gotta love the ones who think they know everything about everything!

I love how people think it's staged...

No, actually I hate it. Who in their right mind would think professionals would plan a stunt so potentially dangerous?

Gotta love the ones who think they know everything about everything!

I totally agree, I was looking up the video on YouTube and there were millions of comments talking about how funny it was, or how it was rigged, or that he deserved it. I just kept thinking, that could have been so much worse, he could have been killed, oh and someone probably just lost their job.

...Gotta love the ones who think they know everything about everything!
On another discussion forum, an experienced stagehand said something to the effect of "never trust automation." Funny thing is, it's almost certain that the scenic piece was flown via one of RCMH's counterweight fly system battens. Another poster thought that Bret Michaels did not attend rehearsal, which is likely why he was out of place and in danger. That, and the cowboy hat, obstructing his upward vision.

On another discussion forum, an experienced stagehand said something to the effect of "never trust automation." Funny thing is, it's almost certain that the scenic piece was flown via one of RCMH's counterweight fly system battens. Another poster thought that Bret Michaels did not attend rehearsal, which is likely why he was out of place and in danger. That, and the cowboy hat, obstructing his upward vision.

There's really no excuse here for not watching the stage if you were the one flying that piece in. You have performers who rarely if ever perform in a theatre space and aren't used to having things moving over their heads. Also, even if they did attend rehearsal, they probably had very little time to get used to it. From what I can tell, the piece didn't look like it was slowing down at all before it made contact. He could have easily been crushed under the piece, depending on how long it took the stagehand to notice and bring the piece back up. Although the fault does rest with the performer, the flyman and Stage Manager should have never let anything like this happen.

(Brett Michaels)...suffered a fractured nose and a contusion to his lip after being hit in the head by a descending set piece at the Tonys, and that he's undergoing a CAT scan as a precautionary measure, since he's had a previous neck injury.
From MTV's website.

Yeah he's lucky he didn't get killed.

Looked to me like a lack of rehearsal or perhaps the fly person couldn't see the whole stage. Everyone else safely crosses the line on time and jumps up on the stage but Brett is quite a distance down stage still. Perhaps the fly man couldn't see he wasn't in place because of the other acts or set pieces. I would love to hear a tape of the S.M.'s call to the fly rail to know if the S.M tried to call it off or not.

I would never have imagined the Tony's to make such a mistake...

Apparently at the Tony Awards Bret Michaels of Poison got clotheslined by an incoming piece of scenery.

Video Here:
Both the Stage Manager and the Fly Operator or Spotter should have cleared the deck before flying in the pipe. That is kind of inexcusable that it actually hit him in the face....if should have never been that close.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with this years Tony Awards sadly, that incident along with the consistently poor sound quality through the entire show made me cringe.

I was however ecstatic that Billy Elliot: The Musical won 10 Tony Awards including Best Musical! It is currently my favorite show on Broadway right now, everyone should go see it!

Re: I would never have imagined the Tony's to make such a mistake...

Apparently at the Tony Awards Bret Michaels of Poison got clotheslined by an incoming piece of scenery.

Video Here:
Both the Stage Manager and the Fly Operator or Spotter should have cleared the deck before flying in the pipe. That is kind of inexcusable that it actually hit him in the face....if should have never been that close...

While I agree that this sort of thing shouldn't happen, I do have a problem with people throwing blame around willy-nilly. While it should have been caught, the blame doesn't solely rest with the flyman and SM. Bret Michaels was off his mark and not really paying attention (from what I infer from seeing it from a few thousand miles away). I think (again, pure speculation) that by the time it was caught, especially in a hectic, very quick changeover, it was already too late to stop it.

Inertia is a cruel mistress. Still, as mentioned in the thread in the audio forum, I would like to hear the comm from that moment.

First: Bret Michaels, this isn't a rock show, there isn't time for you to milk the applause. :p

Second: RF issues and bad programming aside(I presume a wrong VCA or scene was up) BAD mixing is inexcusable. For all of the acts, except for Guys and Dolls who had the exact opposite problem, the chorus drowned out the leads. Hair(a show I am closely involved with) had a the wrong leads at the top of the mix at wrong times.

Why don't they bring in the engineers from the houses? They're all dark, so why not walk them in one door, mix the bit, and walk them out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back