TOUGHGAFF?!

SOG actually does make a really nice wire stripper you can put in their multi-tools. It's one thing if I know I'm going to be needing to use a tool several times during the day, in that case I'll carry the proper tool. On the other hand I'm usually more comfortable with just a multi-tool and radio on my belt than carrying half a tool box just in case a screw needs to be tightened or a wire stripped. I agree with not getting the ratchet thing it doesn't seem to save any time to me. What I can understand is saying you have to carry an ultimate focus tool, mega wrench, or one of the 50 other options out there so you aren't wasting time resizing your c-wrench all the time.

SOG actually does make a really nice wire stripper you can put in their multi-tools.

Funny thing, there is a reason for that. The tool is designed for and used by EOD teams, so it also has a very nice crimper and pliers and wire cutters.

And if someone wanted me to get a ratchet for hang/focus, and would not let me use an RUFT, I would probably be rather angry, and might contact the higher ups. What does the PME care if I use an RUFT or C-Wrench or anything else for that matter if I can do the job in a reasonable amount of time? Frankly, its not his business what kind of wrench works for me or anyone else for that matter.

And if re-sizing your C wrench is taking long enough that its slowing you down, the PME should have called another hand or added an extra hour to the call. It cant possibly waste more than a second or two unless apes are doing all the re-sizing in the balcony and then giving them to klepto lemurs to bring them back to you. If you have your budget down so tight that wasting 2 and a half cents per resize is a problem, you need to cut something else. Its not reasonable and the only thing they have going for them is a giant stick in the behind. At least in my opinion, but if a reasonable reasoning other than it wastes half a cent to less to flip a wrench or use a different tool to do one thing or the other, then I would be willing to listen.

Last edited:
A. I doubt that would work on 4" wide. In general, I'm against tools that have one purpose. Just like most kitchen gadgets.

B. If the ratchet has the right socket, it can work wonders. I prefer a Gator Grip Main Page because it'll work on all the S4 bolts. gator grip, lightspeed wrench, putz wrench, wing nut wrench, mega handle mega combo wrench for the short handle and carry pouch. Or Craftsman sells a short handle ratchet. Short handle is easy to carry, and helps remind you not to overtighten. The downside is nowhere to attach a lanyard, but nothing's perfect.

The only time I've ever really desired a ratchet when hanging lights is when someone in the past has over tightened the clamp bolt so bad that the treads have gotten buggered up and it can't be finger tightened. I know some people like ratchets for side hanging lights.

Toughgaff looks like a product the film people are going to appreciate a lot more than us on the "live" end, as I've seen many of those guys carry around several rolls at a time.

"Really? YOU'RE paying me? Like out of your pocket? Silly me--I thought the producer was paying me. So how much are YOU being paid that you can afford to pay ME? And since I'm guessing you're not losing money and actually making a profit because of my labor and expertise, I would think you'd want to treat me better. By the way, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Steward. Mr. Steward, actually. His first name is Union."

Derek, you have helped me a bunch in the past, time to do so with you in you correcting or seperate topic this part of the reply in your work to do. PM is my real reply and you can cut and post what you want for it but I believe overall, yes you are paying me' in working for that company paying you by way of your "professionalism" in why you are hired locally. "Out of your pockets" in revinues lost that don't reflect in higher pay for a raise perhaps for rochem and many others next year. Yes... every roll of gaff tape you at the venu seemingly could care less about returning to the owner does amount to less overall pay - this especially if they don't have a union contract and make their money on how useful they are individually.

Many and many details to pay and contracts.... believe you are wrong here. Sorry in being on-site in a debate type of thing.

So, when you're hanging an electric and you need to switch from the yoke bolt to the pan bolt, do you switch sockets on your ratchet?

And I've never had anyone question my use of a multi-tool. It seems if the people you're working with are more concerned with which tool you're using than if it gets the job done properly, there's some issues going on.

I'd agree that on most theater calls having this on your belt would make you "that guy", but It could come in handy when you're laying dance floor.

Using a multi-tool for any hanging of a fixture would be as bad or more than the above joking "amature" like, gee you have a Leatherman ready type jokes from those so pro they don't other than need a hammer for a hammer project. I assume that the leatherman is not a tool used for focusing lights by way of what might be inferred without assumpting.

Using a multi-tool for any hanging of a fixture would be as bad or more than the above joking "amature" like, gee you have a Leatherman ready type jokes from those so pro they don't other than need a hammer for a hammer project. I assume that the leatherman is not a tool used for focusing lights by way of what might be inferred without assumpting.

Exactly right, but the reality is if given the choice between a ratchet, a c wrench, and a couple other options, people will fall all over the place. Making them use one is kind of a silly waste of anger.

While not useful in hanging a fixture if you are in a lift focusing lights and you hear a connector arcing and it fails the rattle test using a multitool can be a quick way to open it up and address the issue without having to carry around an assortment of screw drivers. If you were building cable all day it wouldn't be acceptable to only use a multitool.

To feed the derail of labor cost and efficiency, on past shows Ive used a few lines to motivate the crew - Folks you are getting the minimum tonight, work with me and you'll be at the bar still on the clock for your first two rounds or you can fight me and we'll can spend three hours and fifty five minutes loading this show out. Or if we don't hurry up the audio guys are going to eat all the good food off my bus. Sure labor is expensive and overages suck but busting the balls of someone who doesn't have a tool box on there box will not win you any favors with the crew. IMO for concert touring any tools should be supplied by the production or need to be tool less. A stagehand with only hands can't freestyle and cut tape or snip zip ties that are supposed to live with the truss.

All the same, if your local crew, bring yer own c-wrench!

I always thought this was a minimum standard of courtesy, show up with a C-wrench, but a couple of guys I work with seem to think thats not so... One would think that with the minimums and wage I work with, one could afford a $5 tool to show up with...

I always thought this was a minimum standard of courtesy, show up with a C-wrench, but a couple of guys I work with seem to think thats not so... One would think that with the minimums and wage I work with, one could afford a $5 tool to show up with...
The only things I have my hands bring:
6 in adjustable wrench
gloves if you use them

Above and back to concept of the belt rigger for the tool, could be really useful backstage for those other than on a call, and was probably designed for the film industry market as useful. Used to as a carpenter walk about show site with a butt pack and set up I used in the military which contained a roll of it or duct tape, tie wire etc. Liked the butt pack as with shoulder holster cordless drill as with other options for use. But that was in the days when I was walking about a park in getting calls to fix stuff. Or if on stage, could be useful.

Cutting myself short on topics of theft, stuff provided and or what I should get provided in concepts learned in my days in a union shop. This and also in concepts of "poor little stage hand", I'll just retain this. Overall a question in above reply as something useful, but also just a thing about generations of "professionalism." Sweeping the floor after the show, how many rolls of E-tape or gaff tape becomes your's or the shop's? All road cases in and gone or just too much effort?

I haven't worked any outside shows or touring shows, but when I show up for a lighting call, I bring a few things.

Gloves for working with steel counterweights.
Speed wrench for hang and focus.
Adjustable wrench for hang and focus.

I can live without the speed wrench but it cuts precious seconds off each hang and each focus.

Even when I have my speed wrench I am not without my adjustable wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back