how to mount cheap floodlights to a batten?

Ravenbar

I'm currently less than 2wk's out on a HS production of Shrek. We're already way over budget, and as I noted at the first rehearsal I'd scene as doing the lighting, I'm desiring the skeletons in the Drasgon's lair glow.

I came across these 200w LED blacklights at 50% off, and have ordered 2 pair of these cheap "blacklight: floodlights. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5RRK6M1/?tag=controlbooth-20

Budeget's already been way overspent, buying a pair of showbabies, a pair of Chauvet P7 fog machines, and a pair of cheap LED PARs, just on the lighting side; and from what I've heard, we're lacking on the usual donations and playbill advertisements; sp money's tight.

I'm asking for both cheap improvisational ways to hang these lights, and also the proper way to hang these lights off 2" battons. My first thought is a bunchg of zipties, around the batton and fixture, as well as a safety cable. alternatively, a couple worm hose clamps and a safety cable. The fixtures "yoke" is only ~1/2" across so drilling for 1/2" C-clamp bolt won't work.

This is one way if you wanna go hardware store style. Alternatively, they make smaller clamps for fixtures like these that use a 3/8” bolt that may fit the hole on those floods.
"October 2021 - This clamp is currently on backorder. We except more stock in mid-November."

Jeez, what's going on over at BMI that they have 3-year old backorder notices posted...

For something that light, these would prolly do ya. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTTY8X1Y/?tag=controlbooth-20 They have a hole for an M10 bolt but you could use a smaller bolt/screw with them just fine as long as you put the right size washer in there.
Make sure to use a safety cable with them, but I've used identical-looking clamps to hold much more weight than those blacklights.

"October 2021 - This clamp is currently on backorder. We except more stock in mid-November."

Jeez, what's going on over at BMI that they have 3-year old backorder notices posted...
Howdy! Thanks for spotting this. In the thick of the pandemic supply chain craziness, we had notices going up fast and furious for an incredible number of products. We did our best to track them all as supply improved, but a few have slipped through the cracks. We'll have this one tidied up shortly.

Steve

BML while a reprtaable source, others might have stock. Low on budget I could say cable tie givefety cable, but buying a fixture includes buying it and the accessories as it needs also.... learned. If intent is to safety cable, cable tie away or hose clamp away in recognizing proper clamp.

Other details, the yoke of the fixture ability for a clamp specifics.

For something that light, these would prolly do ya. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CTTY8X1Y/?tag=controlbooth-20 They have a hole for an M10 bolt but you could use a smaller bolt/screw with them just fine as long as you put the right size washer in there.
Make sure to use a safety cable with them, but I've used identical-looking clamps to hold much more weight than those blacklights.
Thanks, ordered 2 sets last night.

BML while a reprtaable source, others might have stock. Low on budget I could say cable tie givefety cable, but buying a fixture includes buying it and the accessories as it needs also.... learned. If intent is to safety cable, cable tie away or hose clamp away in recognizing proper clamp.

Other details, the yoke of the fixture ability for a clamp specifics.
These fixtures, no mention of the mounting in the listing, but past experience with this style light says maybe a 3/16" hole. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C5RRK6M1/?tag=controlbooth-20

3/8" hole would align with 1/8" IP size hole. Very good noting and thing to think about... that with USS washers or Unistrut washers to spread any loading on the often thin yoke.

3/8" hole would align with 1/8" IP size hole. Very good noting and thing to think about... that with USS washers or Unistrut washers to spread any loading on the often thin yoke.

When I recieved these fixtures, I was suprised to find they were physically twice the size I expected, at ~16"x10"(guestimating as they're already in the air). The clamps posted by soundlight fit perfectly. Yoke was ~1/8" thick steel, so not even the typical ultrathin yoke metal(I've got some cheap LED pars for mounting in scenery with tinfoil yokes, so I know how thin they can get.)

As to the clamps, I was suprised to find they have what appears to be a TUV certification sticker on them, and stamped in SWL of 100kg(220lbs, which is how the listing specified it.) The lights in question are well under 5lbs, so no even a question of the ability to support the load.

I' thinking of ordering a bunch more, as I'm that impressed, and having that style clamp just works for a lot of the toys I play with there.

Last edited:
I'd really recommend upgrading to something like the Galaxy Stage GS-C104P for any heavier stuff, the thin metal and small roll pins of that little clamp don't sit well with me for "real lights" regardless of rating. We've sold a lot of those to clients for sales fixtures, and we own a bunch of Galaxy's gripper/gravity clamps for our larger moving lights. It's still imported, but has a level of quality control over the typical Amazon fodder. Galaxy also ships with US hardware sizes on most of their clamps (except their mini coupler, their version of the same clamps you bought) which I appreciate. All of their large clamps and half couplers ship with 1/2-13 hardware whereas a lot of the competition for the same price ship with M10 hardware and are not able to easily fit 1/2-13.

I'd really recommend upgrading to something like the Galaxy Stage GS-C104P for any heavier stuff, the thin metal and small roll pins of that little clamp don't sit well with me for "real lights" regardless of rating. We've sold a lot of those to clients for sales fixtures, and we own a bunch of Galaxy's gripper/gravity clamps for our larger moving lights. It's still imported, but has a level of quality control over the typical Amazon fodder. Galaxy also ships with US hardware sizes on most of their clamps (except their mini coupler, their version of the same clamps you bought) which I appreciate. All of their large clamps and half couplers ship with 1/2-13 hardware whereas a lot of the competition for the same price ship with M10 hardware and are not able to easily fit 1/2-13.
If it was for "real" lights, I've got a drawer full of iron c-clamps to use, They have a 1/2" bolt, so they aren't compatible with these little lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back