Touring a show

Well, in a way that is true. But rather, the program would involved a number of schools, depending on the staffing requirements for the program. The idea would be to define a fully staffed touring production, with properly delegated positions. The schools would come together to produce one show, collectively and different aspects of that production would be distributed between the schools. Together, they would work to meet the appropriate requirements and schedule. The sponsoring school would present the Premiere, for a given number of performances, then the show would move forward to tour the circut of the participating schools. In the next cycle (whenever that was determined to be) a different school would be the sponsor and the presentor of the next piece. I envision the program being centered on the development of new works. I think that the extent of resources required to develop a musical is quite a lot and it would serve the many talents required for this if numerous schools could come together to share the burden and support one another, particluarly in their areas of speciality. It might be possible for a series of workshops to be conducted at the various schools using the production as the core project and even those workshops could be sponsored and moved around to the participating schools. I think it would help to both revitalize this aspect of theatre and to provide excellent training to young people wanting to move into this field. I think it would help to reduce the trial and error aspect approaching the field. Thanks for your imput. AG

Another note for your thoughs, Victor- the workshop aspect of the program could be approaced two ways: having one (or more, possibly a days worth of) workshops at each school and the students travel there, from the different schools to attend, or a smaller core group brings the workshops to the participating schools. Essentially, that would be like an exchange program. That, of course, is assuming the workshop idea is viable. AG

Well, in a way that is true. But rather, the program would involved a number of schools, depending on the staffing requirements for the program. The idea would be to define a fully staffed touring production, with properly delegated positions. The schools would come together to produce one show, collectively and different aspects of that production would be distributed between the schools. Together, they would work to meet the appropriate requirements and schedule. The sponsoring school would present the Premiere, for a given number of performances, then the show would move forward to tour the circut of the participating schools. In the next cycle (whenever that was determined to be) a different school would be the sponsor and the presentor of the next piece. I envision the program being centered on the development of new works. I think that the extent of resources required to develop a musical is quite a lot and it would serve the many talents required for this if numerous schools could come together to share the burden and support one another, particluarly in their areas of speciality. It might be possible for a series of workshops to be conducted at the various schools using the production as the core project and even those workshops could be sponsored and moved around to the participating schools. I think it would help to both revitalize this aspect of theatre and to provide excellent training to young people wanting to move into this field. I think it would help to reduce the trial and error aspect approaching the field. Thanks for your imput. AG

I think its a great concept, my only issue would be time and space. This might work in places that have many universities in a small area, all with very active theatre programs. There are only a few city's in the country that this is true for. Also, the development of a musical, if thats what you want to go for, is a large endeavor. If you could get the full cooperation of the schools, you would then have to get the students behind it. On top of that, you would have to do it in a short enough time frame that you don't have people graduating mid production. You would also have to convince a theatre dept to take on something extra besides their regular season. Very few schools would want to give up a show in their 6,7,9,whatever show season to do something else that will be produced sometime in the future. I am not even going to touch on the "when" question. In order for this thing to go out and tour when all of the schools are still in session would be a huge issue to be dealt with.

I think you're right about all that. Those are tough issues. But from my point of view, the only possible way something like this can manifest if it one starts to move forward on it and hashes out these details. Regarding the region. I'm centered in Bucks County, PA, between New York & Philadelphia. Within a hundred mile radius, I am certian there are enough schools to justify a program such as this. I'm sure the same is true in Boston, Chicago, Washington and LA, and probably down south too. Look at the activities in Orlando. But there is no reason why community theatres cannot be joined to a program such as this. If a school is sponsoring the program, community theatres in the area could be locations for workshops. Then what you say about getting the students behind it is true. A musical is a large endeavor, but the staffing positions are fairly well defined, even though it is somewhat flexible. I think that the way in which a program like this needs to proceed is to establish that staffing structure with a mentoring aspect to it. In my original concept, I saw a professional management team mentoring the apprentices. If that were the case, the professional production would have created job positions for the students if they do graduate mid-way thru and if that were the case, they would still be involved from the mentoring end of things. In a professional sense, you have a first class production and any number of second class productions. There are other arenas as well, which could provide job opportunities for students and not just students who are studying theatre. Remember there's marketing and accounting, and all the trades, publishing, product R&D. That's the beautiful thing about theatre- it uses all the known talents, arts & crafts, trades & business practices. It really is all encompassing. In terms of the theatre department's regular season- I think a program like this would more suitably be considered part of a curriculum and would most probably extend over longer period of time. Once the program was established for at least four years, the course of study would be entered into with the expectation that in year three, the production would then go up and in year four it would tour. That being the case, the touring production would end up being one of the shows presented by each of the participating schools perfroming arts departments. I doubt that in a collegiate environment all the components of a full production from the ground up could take place in less time than that. But, with multiple departments working together, that might happen, maybe even in two years. Part of the other thing is that, working out these details is something that a professional production must contend with, although not in a school environemt. A big part of the training in the program is that the students do the coordinating work that is necessary to make something like this happen. It's not something that is spoon fed to the students. They need to show their ability to step up to the plate. It's something they create together and can be proud that they succeeded at it. The instructors, whether they are eductional staff or professional mentors, are there to guide the students in their process. I guess the program needs to set goals and leave it up to the students to meet those goals. I suppose their success would determine their grade. Something like that. But remember that the community theatre aspect of it could be quite a valuable partner in the program as well. Thanks alot for your dialogue on this, it gets me fired up. AG

Another note: The program could possibly also include Summer Stock as part of the training, which would allow the students to get paid for their work during breaks and keep them tuned up for moving the program ahead when the next year starts. AG

Thats a good option and a very good point, if you could keep it up during the summer, it might move much faster. I am however a big proponent of students getting as far away from their school as possible for the summer.

That's a good idea. Why not have major regional theatres (or even not so major) be part of the apprenticeship program, whereby the students would travel to another city for that aspect of the program. Then it would feel like they were getting away from school, on break, but would actually be continuing an aspect of the program. I guess the structure of the summer stock apprenticeship would need to be distinctly different from the "educational" environment of the school. I suppose maybe that is already happening. I wonder if there is an "official" program like this in place somewhere? I'm not totally up on that, it's been awhile since I was in the school environment. A few of the schools I worked in were unofficially associating, but there was no linked program.

image, I don't wanna sound like a douche, but could you use paragraphs, it would be a ton easier to follow what you are writing.

Sorry, sometime my flow of thinking moves at such a rate that to slow down and break it up interferes and then I run out of time to go back and fix it up. I'll try not to do that in the future.

I've been talking to a few people about sitting on the management team. The concept of an apprenticeship program is getting very excited and positive responces from a number of people. We'll see how it goes. AG

Re: Touring a show/Academic Apprenticeship Program

Academic Apprenticeship Program- Not much has actually been done on implementing the ideas we discussed here, however, I've begun discussions on my BLOG regarding the show which I'd like to use as a test case for this concept. If you are interested, search Goggle for Image of the Mind Studios or link to my Home page. I don't seriously expect to pushing very hard myself for this concept to manifest, because I'm quite frankly limited as to time. However, I will continue to theorize of the structure and work to produce an operations manual in the hope that it may be implemented or a Project Director may appear. I welcome anyone wishing to continue this line of discussion and I will post from time to time. AG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back