Truss designs plus spansets

photoatdv

Before anyone gets too worried, all my designs (well all the 'creative' ones anyway) are checked by a qualified rigger before we use them :). I'd just rather get it right BEFORE I send it to them :lol:.

I'm doing a little bit different visual design on an upcoming production, and the only way I'm seeing to get the truss where I want it is to hang pieces of truss under but touching (or close to) others. Is it okay to use spansets for this? Since the lower truss is at an angle to the top (about 60 degrees) we would use 2-3 spansets which would distribute the load a bit more on the upper piece (and we would be well within the point load limits). As far as the lower truss I don't see how it could be a problem given this is how it'd be hung from motors (and it doesn't know whats on the other end of the spanset). The upper truss also should be okay as long as we stay under load limits. 25-30' is the longest unsupported span in my creation...

Now I feel like an evil overlord or something... hum...

No, it's not quite for world domination ;).

Sounds OK, from what you describe. They may tell you to use four spansets, two to suspend the truss, two to keep twist out of the upper truss.

To give you a real answer, I'd have to see a picture of what you are planning or a more specific description of the rig. Could be easy or could be complex.

Before anyone gets too worried, all my designs (well all the 'creative' ones anyway) are checked by a qualified rigger before we use them :). I'd just rather get it right BEFORE I send it to them :lol:.

I'm doing a little bit different visual design on an upcoming production, and the only way I'm seeing to get the truss where I want it is to hang pieces of truss under but touching (or close to) others. Is it okay to use spansets for this? Since the lower truss is at an angle to the top (about 60 degrees) we would use 2-3 spansets which would distribute the load a bit more on the upper piece (and we would be well within the point load limits). As far as the lower truss I don't see how it could be a problem given this is how it'd be hung from motors (and it doesn't know whats on the other end of the spanset). The upper truss also should be okay as long as we stay under load limits. 25-30' is the longest unsupported span in my creation...

Now I feel like an evil overlord or something... hum...

No, it's not quite for world domination ;).
Qualify the answers with it depends on weights on the trusses and number of hoists, plus the building weight restrictions. That is what your local riggers are for, which you stated is already in place. In theory what you are asking sounds fine but there may be problems of which we aren't aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back